THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belted Magnum Collet Die arrived!! Nice!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well for those of you who are interested I just tried out the die. You might have seen the post below about needing to get the dimensions down just ahead of the belt on some weatherby brass. The die is very nice. Good quality. Works just the way I hoped it would. You slip a collet on your case and push the case and collet up into the die just like you would do if you were resizing brass in a regular die. The tool also has a neat feature in that there is a built in case gauge at the top of the die--if a case slips in through the top of the die it doesn't need resizing--a guarantee it will fit any chamber. ANYHOW the weatherby brass in question was .515 just ahead of the belt. Brand new brass is .507. AFter a collet size and then a resize with my forester dies It measures .510. Saami spec in my manual is .512max.
IN SUMMARY--it's fast--good quality--and does the job well.
At the price of weatherby brass at about $1.00 per case I only have to do 90 cases and it's paid for. PROBABLY NOT A TOOL IF YOU DON'T NEED IT BUT, I DID AND IT WORKS GREAT!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hey kraky. That one die is supposed to work with a bunch of different calibers, right? I have a HOWA 7RMag that looks like it's also expanding the cases just ahead of the belt; probably not a precise chamber job. I didn't want to be the first to try it, so, since you took all the flames, I may invest in one, too.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting! Thanks for posting that, Kraky. I had been wondering how the die might work. I'm pretty sure I have magnum cases fired in chamber A that won't fit chamber B. And if I'm not much mistaken, the area just in front of the belt might well have something to do with this. Without having decided to buy this new toy, at least it gives me another option. Cases are pretty expensive over here - and some calibers are almost impossible to come by.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey kraky, How `bout measuring across the "Belt" on one case before and after squashing to see if it "might" help Jimmy Mac. He needs to see if his Primer Pockets are still tight, but if they are and your Body Squasher will pull the Belt in a bit too, you might be able to help him out.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/editpost.php?Cat=&Board=UBB6&Number=565474&page=0&view=collapsed&what=showflat&sb=5&o=2&vc=1

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HOt Core--I tried it on two shells to see if I could shrink the belt. It might change it by .0005" possibly near .001".
I don't have the fanciest calipers in the world and I kinda have to go by how much I squeeze the jaws to take my reading. Funny thing about the belts on this ammo--even though the area ahead was too big the belt itself was in spec with the manual.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote