Find
Notify
Tools

Nice Group With My .257 Wby Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
Shown below is a picture of a particularly good group I shot the other day with my Vanguard in .257 Wby Mag. The group came from some new loads I had worked up for the gun using 85 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and RL19 powder. The group on the right side was only three shots--I had loaded four, but when I got to the range I found I had one with an upside-down primer.

I believe this may be the best 100 yd group I've ever shot with any of my rifles. I know, its only three shots, but still, three pretty good ones.

I think I found a load the gun likes. It's really not a very hot load, but I believe I can shoot coyotes and other critters (or paper) with it.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say you found the low end load. My Nosler manuel shows a max load of 73 gr. with 71 being the most acurate load. Also noted R-19 as the most accurate powder. I guess I would work up to the top end and see if another accuracy node is on the upper end.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is the low end load alright--actually that powder charge is lower than the suggested minimum charge. I could not find a high end sweet spot, but I noticed that the best group of the high end charges was the lowest one. So, I started gradually working down until I found this really tight group.

I believe it is approx 3300 fps. -- closer to a .25-06 load. It will be easy on the barrel, but deadly on coyotes and paper.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote