New
Find
Notify
Tools

RamShot powders, Opinions? Results?
 Login/Join

<danev2>
posted
In a week I have heard from two people that have used Ramshot powder from Western Powder Co. Both of them have said that they worked great. Did a little digging around found the Ramshot website, www.ramshot.com and it's parent Co. www.westernpowders.com. Did a little more digging around came across a reference to Ramshot-Bigshot powder in the Snipers Hide forum. That guy said it was fabulous in his 270 or 30-06 or something similar.
Is this stuff worth trying out?

Thanks all

DV

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also like to try some. (the eternal search for the perfect load goes on) I haven't found anyone in this neck of the woods handling it yet. it certainly looks interesting. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Loren>
posted
I have a Sportsman's warehouse nearby that carries Ramshot powder.

I've never tried it - I like to have two or three data sources and I've not seen their stuff worked up by anyone but them.

<danev2>
posted
I think we're going to have to bite the bullet and buy some and try it out.

Let the testing begin!!

DV

posted Hide Post
Our local range copmlex has not long been taken over by a serious benrest shooter/riflesmith. He stocks these powders and rates them very highly. I am sure he said it was the same range of powders that Federal and Black Talon use in their commercial ammo, but I may be wrong there.
Anyway, I have bought some to try in my .308 instead of its usual diet of BL(C)-2.

[This message has been edited by Pete E (edited 03-14-2002).]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As a note of interest, I've just checked the container for the Ramshot Tac powder and its says right at the bottom made in
Belgium for Western Powders.....Tac is supposed to be "exceptional for the .308" according to the blurb on the container...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Tim1>
posted
Pete

You may find it useful to gleen some info from Mike at Minsterley befor loading for your .308. As you probably know he's extremely knowledgable in respect of reloading and has recently helped me to develop a sub 0.5" group from my .243 using Ramshot Magnum.

Best wishes

Tim

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Ive messed with Big Game in two different 300WSMs but I switched back to H4350 because I knew I could count on it. I was working with 130grn Barnes XLCs witch have always been tough to load for...for me anyway. Now that I have found the proper seating depth I will try the Ramshot BG again. I'll let yall know how it does. For what its worth Ramshot products are listed as being some the most accurate powders throughout the New Barnes manual....but.... I'm sure many of you know that there are many errors in the book.

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I've used the Big Game in the 30-06 with 125 grain Nosler BT and CCI Mag primer. The Ramshot manual recommends 62.0 grains of the Big Game in this recipe.

That's an incredibly accurate load in my Model 70 Winchester Ranger. 1/2 MOA all the way, better in some instances.

The thing I really like about it is that it meters so well. It's a ball powder, like most (if not all?) of the other Ramshot powders. It is reported to be very temperature stable, and burn very, very cleanly. No filthy bore after twenty shots, which allows more consistent accuracy over longer strings of shooting.

Black Hills uses Ramshot powders in many of their loads.

It's good stuff. I haven't tried the Tac for my .308 loads as of yet, and may not, since Varget seems impossible to beat in that role. But it is tempting, since it meters so darned well. My cheap Lee measure can toss 62.0 grains for my aught-six cases every time. No tweaking required.

green 788

<danev2>
posted
Mr green I thank you, there is a Sportsman Warehouse here and they stock it. I think
I will try some of the Big Game in my 30-06
and some TAC in my 22-250.

<Martindog>
posted
I have yet to try it because it's not sold in my area, except at gunshows. Will need to try some, especially since its a ball powder (gonna retire my trickler yet).

In case your interested, I asked for and received a burn rate chart from Ramshot. All the standard warnings apply, i.e., you can't load simply by a burn rate chart, but at least it gives you an idea.

Approximate Burning Rate of Propellant Powders

• Reloader 7
  • IMR 3031
  • N-201
  • Brig 322
  • H322
  • X-terminator
  • BL-C(2)
  • Varget
  • H335
  • XMR 2495
  • TAC
  • H4895
  • Reloader 12
  • IMR 4895
  • Brig 4065
  • N 135
  • IMR 4064
  • XMR 4064
  • IMR 4320
  • N 202 (203)
  • N 140
  • N540
  • Big Game
  • Reloader 15
  • H380
  • Brig 4351
  • H414
  • N150
  • N550
  • XMR 4350
  • H4350
  • IMR 4350
  • N 204
  • Reloader 19
  • N 160
  • N 560
  • H 205
  • N 205
  • H450
  • IMR 4831
  • Brig 4831
  • H 4831
  • XMR 3100
  • WXR
  • MRP
  • N 165
  • Reloader 22
  • WMR
  • IMR 7828
  • N170
  • H1000
  • Magnum (Big Boy)
  • Reloader 25
  • H870

Hope this helps. Again, at the bottom of the list, it reads. "Never determine a load from this, or any burning rate chart."

Martindog

<danev2>
posted
Very good
Now there's a page worth printing out

Thanks
DV

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that list, too. In my experience, Tac may be just a little faster than indicated here, a little ahead of Varget, anyway.

In my 6PPC, Tac does wonderful, high velocities, meters wonderfully (even though the stuff eventually gets EVERYWHERE), and burns super, super clean. Accuracy, well, I've shot groups in the .1's......, even though I can't shoot that well to begin with. I like the stuff. According to Quickload, it also gives some of the highest velocities with that chambering. Now I have to find some Exterminator with the 55 B-tips. That should be excellent. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote