Find
Notify
Tools

270 Win & RL25
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HuntR
posted
Has anyone tried Reloder 25 in the 270 Winchester? Looking for reloading data for this combination and info as to how well it does. Got a good "going out of business" clearance deal on a bunch of it, so hoping it does as good as RL22.

Posts: 179 | Location: Maine | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I played around with it in my 270. I tried a variety of bullets from different bullet smiths but could not get any of them to group. The shots were all over the paper. I tried in a 300 win mag and it was instant love. The powder would group with almost any charge and any bullet that I had on hand. It did exceptionally well with Combined Technology Silver Tips and with Nozler Balistic Tip 180 grain. (Except for the paint bob, I don't see any difference. R-22 has been my powder choice for both the 270 and 300, but my new 300 is going on a diet of R25, unless Retumbo proves better. I haven't been able to find any to try.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rel 25 seems a little to slow in the 270.

Rel 22, however, seems perfect.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HuntR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
Rel 25 seems a little to slow in the 270.

Rel 22, however, seems perfect.

That is what I found also. The loads I worked up with the RL25 showed good accuracy, but velocity averaged 100 to 150 fps less than with RL22. I'll stick with RL22 as my favorite for the 270.

Posts: 179 | Location: Maine | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote