Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 7828
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Paul Owens
posted
I'm new to reloading and just bought a pound of the IMR 7828 for my 7MM.Mag and 300Win Mag.How do you guys like this powder?
I also have a 22-250 and have some Varget ordered for it.
I loaded my first 38 SPL.shells today with Ramshot Zip 4.8 grains behind 125 grain Hornady XTP-HP and really liked the way it shot.
I think I'm really going to like this reloading hobby,but man is it hard to finding supplies.

Posts: 29 | Location: Pike Co.Kentucky | Registered: 29 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Welcome and reloading is fun.

As for IMR 7828, I use it and like it but I've never used it for the cartridges you mention. I would thint it would work well though.

My 7mm Remington Magnum and 300 Winchester Magnum loads use RL-22.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paul Owens
posted Hide Post
The Hornady manual I have lists the IMR 7828 for the bullets I'm wanting to use,but once I give it a try I'll let everyone know how it does.

Posts: 29 | Location: Pike Co.Kentucky | Registered: 29 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
Welcome fellow Kentuckian!

IMR7828 is my favorite powder in the 300 Winchester Magnum when using 180 grain bullets. It seems to work best near the maximum* charge weight.

* Disclaimer: Of course you'll want to begin with a documented starting charge and work up slowly

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I know a hunter who uses this powder in his 7mag and it is his favorite.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I have a 300 and 7828 is all that's ever been shot in that rifle. That powder works very well in my rifle with 180 grain Partitions. My rifle has a long throat so that I can load to an over all length of 3.6 inches and therefore use lots of that 7828. It produces good velocity from the 26 inch barrel.
Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my 270Wby and 7mmRemMag, it is my favorite powder with all bullet weights from 130 to 150 in the 270 and 140 to 160 in the 7mm. For 300 Win Mag and 180gr bullets, I like H1000.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 7828 is an excellent choice for both the 7mm Rem and the .300 Win. The "Super Short Cut" version is handier for metering, but either works like the other.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
The "Super Short Cut" version is handier for metering.

thumb thumb

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been loading 7828SSC for 300 RUM. Great performance and excellent accuracy with Barnes 180 gr. TSX.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I prefer it to RL22 for a powder in htat burn rate. I use it in my 260ai, 280 & 7mmDakota. It even does a good job in the 30-06 w/ 180gr bullets (7828ssc).

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 7mm. RM likes 7828 better than
RL22 for Nos - Accubonds 160s but to me it really has a sharper, more pronounced recoil.

>
I'd rather be a CONSERVATIVE NUTJOB than a Liberal with no NUTS & No JOB
>

Posts: 643 | Location: Somewhere Out There | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
We've been using 7828SSC in a bunch of cartridges, most notably 300 and 340 Weatherby Mags, with great success. We're getting excellent velocity and great accuracy. We've also used it in cases as large as the 416 Rigby with similar results.

I'd say you're on the right track in selecting it for the 7mm/300 mags.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paul Owens
posted Hide Post
Guys I want to say thanks for all of the information.I don't know anyone who reloads,and I'm learning how to do this from the Manuals and forums like this.I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions later.

Thanks Guys!!

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I use 7828 for my 257 Wby and my powder hungry 338-378 Wby. It is a very good powder for the boomer and not bad at all for the 257. It is fairly slow and one thing you might want to know is that it is somewhat temperature sensitive.

The load I worked up for the 338-378 was done when it was 65 to 70 degrees. The speed was just a touch slower then factory velocities. When I chrono'd both factory and my hand loads when it was 108 degrees the 7828 was running 50 fps faster then the factory loads (they use MRP). The difference between my handloaded rounds from the cooler temperature was about 70 - 80 fps when it was hot. The load is 1.4 grains shy of max which I have fired with no pressure signs. The speed in the heat was about the same as the max load in the cool.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started usung 7828SSC in my 416 Rigby when I couldn't get RL22. So far, so good. Now that I have 8lbs, I will try it elswhere.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
With 200 Partitions, 7828 is the best powder I've found in 300 Winnie. I remember reading that it was used as "cannister grade" powder for 7 Rem Mag factory ammo, but I can't remember where I may have read that.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR7828 gives the same ballistics in the 30-06 as the original Government load. It is an EXCELLENT powder to use and it is accurate in my Rem 721 in 30-06!

Enjoy,
"Just an old Soldier"

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As stated above I use 7828 in my long throated 300 and it is excellent. I think that what I most enjoy working with this powder is that it reminds me of the old WW2 surplus 4831. I use a micrometer to help determin pressure and 7828 like old 4831 the pressure just seems to come on slow and easy. I have never encountered high pressure suddenly with either powder. They give you plenty of warning.
Regards, Keith
Semper Fi

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote