New
Find
Notify
Tools

accuracy
 Login/Join

<bowiler>
posted
What are the things you do when reloading to help your accuracy at the range/field.

<auto>
posted
Try to make each loaded cartridge "exactly" like all the others. This will include starting with brass that is the same length, weight, and the same head stamp. Uniform the primer pockets and remove any burrs from the flash holes. Next weigh each charge to make certain they each get the same amount of powder. Then weigh each bullet to make sure some don't weigh 1/2 grain more or less than the others. Seat them all the same, too. There may be some rifles that prefer the bullet to be closer to the rifling than others. This is a varible that you'll have to figure out about your own rifle. Some guns will shoot a better group when the bullet is going slower and some like it faster. You can vary the amount of powder, and the type of powder, and the brand of primers, and the bullet weight and manufacture. That should get you going.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The biggest thing is to do a lot of testing to see what works best in your rifle.I also test a load under different temperatures to determine how consistant it is.Once the ideal load is reached I try my best to make sure all loaded ammo is as consistant as possible.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you got a batch of new brass, size them and trim to same length.

Neck turning and flash-hole-deburring on all cases.

Now you weigh them, toss out ones that's too light/heavy.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Besides the things already mentioned, I also neck size cases and use benchrest primers. I check each finished round to see that it chambers easily ( outdoors ) as I've read that neck sized cases sometimes do not but have not encountered that problem yet. The difference in the price of primers is not a significant percentage of the cost of a hunting trip.

These are details though, and finding out what bullets and powder charges work well in an individual rifle are fundamentals. Once that is determined, the details are to make every round just like every other to reduce the tolerance on point of impact.

Tom

Posts: 14388 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote