Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4350 vs H 4350
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted
I see these two powders very close to each other on a burn rate chart. Can they be used interchangeably?

I'm reloading 460 Weatherby, lighter 350-400 gr. pills. I have never loaded this cart. to the limit as I see no reason to. Also, I'm just plinking at targets. No serious work.

All suggestions welcomed.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For your purposes, yes. I recall that the H is slightly faster, just a tad.

Posts: 17193 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4350 is a tad slower than IMR 4350

H4831 is slower than IMR 4831

you can use IMR4350 load data with H4350 powder

Posts: 1136 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you didn't ask, but just so you know Accurate (AA) 4350 is slower than either IMR or Hodgdon 4350. I have found it to be about one grain slower than IMR in my 30-06 and 6.5-06AI.

Here is Hodgdon/IMR latest chart.
Burn rate chart

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

That Hodgdon/IMR chart is good too.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are two completely different powders which are made on two different continents about 12,000 miles apart. They also have different size, shape, and even color of granules. But they are engineered to have very similar burning characteristics. So, in less than "maximum" loads you won't get into trouble substituting one for the other, although performance in terms of velocity and accuracy may not be exactly the same.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point Stonecreek. I've never loaded to maximum. Never saw a need to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try he same loads and shoot over a chronograph so you WILL know the facts for sure. That's the only way to find out the difference.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5971 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It won't matter as the 4350s are too slow for top loads in the 460 Wby.

If you want top velocity you need Varget or 4064 burn rates. Re 15 would also be good although I have never used it in a 460.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe from So. Cal.:
I see these two powders very close to each other on a burn rate chart. Can they be used interchangeably?

I'm reloading 460 Weatherby, lighter 350-400 gr. pills. I have never loaded this cart. to the limit as I see no reason to. Also, I'm just plinking at targets. No serious work.

Not sure about the H4350, but know the IMR-4350 does NOT lend itself to reduced very well.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of cheap Reloading Manuals would be a good investment for most folks..I see this need for a lot of posts..I don't see how one can reload without this information..I have about 15 or 20 reloading books dating back to 1949 to 2016, and Ive been reloading since I was 12 years old and Im now just shy of 82, besides its good reading on a cold Idaho evening.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe from So. Cal.:

Not sure about the H4350, but know the IMR-4350 does NOT lend itself to reduced very well.

I pretty much shoot only inexpensive 500 gr. Hornady RN's over 115 grains of IMR 4350.
Once in a while I'll try some 450 gr. BARNES Triple Shock for long range fun'in and I'm working on a load to push hard some discontinued gr. 350 soft points I picked up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could only have one powder for the rest of my life to use in everything from 6mm-.338 mags in would be H-4350 without question,a little slow for the big mags best velocity but close enough, burns super clean and always super accurate..awesome in all short mags and anything built from the /06 case...about as good as it gets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I always seemed to get slightly better accuracy with the IMR brand than the H. Both were plenty good for hunting but that 1/4" made me feel better.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I use both - H in the 270 w/ 130 TTSX and IMR in the 338 with 225 TTSX - both shoot easy under MOA with max Barnes loads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what Ray said about good reading. It is also useful for cross referencing obsolete rounds.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I've used all three of the 4350's with H4350 being my favorite powder in general.

One thing of note: the H4350 powder was engineered to be more temperature stable than the others. My personal testing has been from about 45 degrees to about 110 degrees. Velocity variation has been much lower than with the IMR and AA powders. I do think the IMR was a tad more accurate in my rifles but not enough for me to be concerned.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I've used it from -17 to near 90 and have never noticed any change in point of impact, no matter what cartridge it's used in...H-4350, if you only had one for ever, this would be the one !

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use H4350 in my three 30-06s and IMR 4350 in my two remaining 338 Win Mags because the rifles preferred those powders over each other. H4350 shot slightly better in my 06s and IMR 4350 shot a lot better in my 338s.

Posts: 449 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
what Ray said about good reading. It is also useful for cross referencing obsolete rounds.

And sometimes even the old ones are more reliable than "Internet data".. popcorn

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote