THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    can powdered graphite be used instead of liquid lub. to resize??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can powdered graphite be used instead of liquid lub. to resize??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks
Alex
aax1@bellsouth.net

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I've been useing powdered graphite when I neck size only for the last 30+ years. tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube. I dip the case neck into it to lube the neck inside and out. Makes the expander plug pull through easily.
Just don't spill the stuff. It's messy.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leo L.:
I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube. I dip the case neck into it to lube the neck inside and out. Makes the expander plug pull through easily.
Just don't spill the stuff. It's messy.

+1

Hugh

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what about for full-length resizing?

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't try to use it for full length sizing. Part of the problem would be getting it to adhere to the entire case except for the parts that one shouldn't lube. Next it would be a chore to remove it from the case, plus messy, as you sure don't want a graphited case in your rifle chamber as it would increase bolt thrust. I'd use a case lube like Imperial Wax Case Lube. You should remove any case lube after the cartridge has been sized.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
For the neck only I've used it. I would not try it on a full Length resize. I've use mica for the neck as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got it.thanks all.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
When I was young, I tried it for full length resizing a .30-06 case. Pulled the rim completely off the case trying to get it back out of the die. The late Jay Postman of RCBS who was a good personal friend got the case out for me.

He also asked that I NEVER use graphite for full-length resizing again. No sweatsky, Yank. I would never have tried that again anyway. A slow learner, but not that slow.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
have you tried Imperial Die Wax; not as messy as the pad

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ISDW or Hornady "Unique" brand case lube.

Wipe your finger across the lube (just enough to put a light shine on your finger tip), wipe the case body with your finger, size and go (you don't need to clean it off, but I usually do anyway)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never found the graphite I've tried to exhibit much in the way of case lubricating properties, even for neck-sizing. But I've only used the brand called "Motor Mica" and it might be that the Imperial stuff works much better.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I've never found the graphite I've tried to exhibit much in the way of case lubricating properties, even for neck-sizing. But I've only used the brand called "Motor Mica" and it might be that the Imperial stuff works much better.

Stoney - I've never found Motor Mica worth a damn as a case lube either. In my salad days I stuck several cases in different dies, just trying it out as a lube.

But I don't think Motor Mica is graphite anyway.

Here the primary ingredient is listed as part of the MSDS for Motor Mica. Note that it says that ingredient is silicate, mica, not graphite.

SCIENTIFIC LUBRICANTS CO INC -- MOTOR-MICA -- 8030-00N083140
===================== Product Identification =====================

Product ID:MOTOR-MICA
MSDS Date:03/15/1986
FSC:8030
NIIN:00N083140
MSDS Number: CGPRS
=== Responsible Party ===
Company Name:SCIENTIFIC LUBRICANTS CO INC
Address:227 GROVE ST
City:CARPENTERSVILLE
State:IL
ZIP:60110
Info Phone Num:847-426-5223
Emergency Phone Num:847-426-5223
CAGEBig GrinO627
=== Contractor Identification ===
Company Name:SCIENTIFIC LUBRICANTS CO INC
Box:UNKNOW
CAGE:15268
Company Name:SCIENTIFIC LUBRICANTS CO., INC.
Address:227 GROVE STREET
Box:City:CARPENTERSVILLE
State:IL
ZIP:60110
Phone:704-628-1711
CAGEBig GrinO627

============= Composition/Information on Ingredients =============

Ingred Name:SILICATE, MICA; (SILICATES)
CAS:12001-26-2
RTECS #:VV8760000
OSHA PEL:20 MPPCF
ACGIH TLV:3 MG/M3 RDUST

-----------------------------------
beer

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Motor Mica sucks as a case lube.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta: I believe you're correct that Motor Mica does not contain graphite. I've had that friggin can of Motor Mica in my cabinet for OVER 40 years and all it has ever gotten me is pain. Come to think of it, a high-school reloading buddy (who is a life-long friend and still a hunting partner) ordered it from Herter's when we were about Sophomores and somehow I inherited it when he eventually married and moved out of his parent's home. I'll see him in a few weeks and take his damn can of Motor Mica back to him with the suggestion that he ruin some thing in HIS workshop with it for a while.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stoney -

Sounds as if mebbe we both got ours about the same time, and probably the same place...Herter's, that is. I could have gotten mine from Brownell's, but I think it was from good old George Leonard hisself.

The only reason I still have mine is that I hate to throw away a full can of anything, and as I have never found anything Motor Mica is good for, the can is basically still full after these 50+ years I've had it.

I can see a new ad slogan for them now, "Motor Mica - Lasts Forever!" rotflmo lol

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, my can of Motor Mica is still full to just below the brim.

It's a little like what a fellow told me when I was looking for some kind of old tractor to use on the ranch. We had talked about a Deere, a Massey Ferguson, or a Ford when I asked him if he would recommend a Case.

"Oh, Lord no, fella", he exclaimed, "A Case tractor is just like a Dodge pickup truck or a (unflattering description of a woman): You'll be embarrassed to be seen with it and you'll have it forever 'cause won't nobody take it off of your hands".

I had a neighbor who owned both a Dodge truck and a Ford truck, and a Case tractor and a John Deere. He liked to kid that his Dodge and his Case both used only a fraction of the fuel of the other two -- because they would only run a fraction of the time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Yep, my can of Motor Mica is still full to just below the brim.

It's a little like what a fellow told me when I was looking for some kind of old tractor to use on the ranch. We had talked about a Deere, a Massey Ferguson, or a Ford when I asked him if he would recommend a Case.

"Oh, Lord no, fella", he exclaimed, "A Case tractor is just like a Dodge pickup truck or a (unflattering description of a woman): You'll be embarrassed to be seen with it and you'll have it forever 'cause won't nobody take it off of your hands".

I had a neighbor who owned both a Dodge truck and a Ford truck, and a Case tractor and a John Deere. He liked to kid that his Dodge and his Case both used only a fraction of the fuel of the other two -- because they would only run a fraction of the time.

That's a good story!!

When I was quite young and mainly a city-kid, I bought a half-section of old growth timber in Oregon and moved there with my wife and son. We heated only with Doug Fir which, being a soft wood, burns pretty quickly.

So, We'd need a whole 180-200 foot tall tree, 6-to-8 foot diameter at the butt (and sometimes part of another one) to get through the winter. I figured it was easier and quicker to tow a whole tree trunk to my woodshed with a cat-type tractor and then saw it up, split and stack the wood once, than to do all the sawing and splitting out in the woods, then have to stack it on a trailer or in a truck for several loads to get it back to the woodshed, then unload it and restack it in the shed.

Anyway....since I didn't know squat about cat-type tractors, I bought a Case of about D-4 to D-6 size. Bigger mistake than buying a boat with only one oar!! Was ALWAYs having to get it repaired and it still would seldom start. I lmost had to buy an ether franchise to get that thing to run enough to keep us from freezing to death.

Then I literaly gave it away and bought a little OC-3. It was smallewr but did a lot more work than the Case ever did. But I was learning.

Pretty quick, I also sold the little Oliver and bought a D-6...what I should have gotten in the first place.

I had finally gotten the message...buying cheap ain't always the least expensive route to getting things done proper. Buying the quality tools or supplies usually is.