New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimped primers in PMC .223?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm working on a couple of batches of .222 and .223, my first experience in loading for small stuff. I could only prime one of the five .223 cases I tried.

The brass is once fired .223 rem from PMC (55g fmj-bt). Fired in a bushmaster ar-15. Load is for a Savage 12FV that I don't own, yet.
Die is RCBS full length. The expander/decapper stem may be bent, I had to tighten it down with the expander in a case to get it concentric. The die was bought used, I'll get a new stem from rcbs.

The cases did have some corn cob stuck in the flash hole area before decapping, and it did deform some of the flash holes. I should probably pitch these first 20 and dig the corn cob out of the rest.

I'm using a Lee AutoPrime. #4 shell holder, I switched the tray and the ram to the small rifle size.

The primers would not go into the pocket easily, and I didn't want to force it. The twenty .222 rem I primed went in ok, but the handle had to be pushed further than I'm used to with the large rifle primers (.308, .270, 8*57...)

Do these primer pockets need to be reamed, or did I screw them up? Is there something I need to know about the Lee Autoprime and small rifles?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BJA:

Yeah, I had the same problems once before. I had to ream out the primer pocket. For clearing the media out of the flash hole, I just asked RCBS for a new Decapping Unit for one of my dies, and just use it for that. Sort of like a convenient little metal toothpick.

For that reason I had steared clear of PMC brass in 223. I did not care for the quality of it. When I order bulk brass, if some of it says PMC, I just toss it.
Cheers and Happy New Year
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just asked RCBS for a new decapping stem, looks like I have a use for the old one. Bummer about the crimps, since I have about 200 of these cases.

When I pick up my rifle, I'll need some ammo. What factory ammo can you recommend with good brass? Preferrably something cheap that shoots well in a 1-9 twist? Thanks

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, I don't use factory ammo, especially in a 223. I usually get brass by the 1000 from Cabelas, resized and deprimed military surplus brass, for about $35.00.

Another good spot to try if you want remington brass is SouthernBelleBrass.com. For about the same price plus shipping they carry Remington and sometimes Federal and Winchester head stamped brass.

good luck, cheers and happy new year.
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one (yet) seems to have mentioned that the
Mil type loads were probably crimped around the
primer, so all you have to do is uncrimp it.
I just use a neck chamfering tool, or sometimes
a large drill (hand held).
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote