New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 Mag Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought some 240gr hard cast bullets to load in my 6 inch Smith. I want to load these at around 900-1,000 fps. I have Win 231, 2400 and Unique. What powder is best for this application and at what charge weight? Thank you.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a better powder than Unique under a lead bullet in any big bore. Try 8gr for good midrange load.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in complete agreement with fredj338!

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used w231 and unique and looking back at the data and targets I've kept I could not see any difference with bullet weights over 200 gr. The gun is a SW 629 6" bullets were Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra. The loads were worked up from their manuals.

I only shoot the gun for fun, so I've recently gone to a 200 gr. Hornady using Lil Gun powder and data from the Hodgon website.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
+1 for 8 grs. Unique. Shoots very well.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the 44 mag data using 8gr of Unique. I shot this load this weekend with some 240 hard cast bullets I bought and they shot very well at 15 and 25 yd.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote