Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW TO RELOADING ADVICE PLEASE
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Guys I'm new to reloading have all the equipment now just need to get a couple of reloading manuals I'm reloading ammo for plinking 45acp, 40s&w, and 9mm and was wondering if there was one or two powders that would do the job for all three calibers would like your advice. Thanks Craig

Posts: 3 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 25 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Looks like H Longshot, H Universal, H Titegroup, IMR PB and Winchester AutoComp seem to work with all three. I've noticed alot of people here like Titegroup.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd use unique

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Or PowerPistol, there are more then a few good choices actually.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i'd use unique

This is the answer to a lot of loading questions.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeerBear 2000:
Hi Guys I'm new to reloading have all the equipment now just need to get a couple of reloading manuals I'm reloading ammo for plinking 45acp, 40s&w, and 9mm and was wondering if there was one or two powders that would do the job for all three calibers would like your advice. Thanks Craig

Craig, DeerBear 2000,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to reloading (a fine obsession)

For plinking, I choose a fast-burning powder like Unique or Bullseye, but with an energy-dense powder like bullseye one must be VERY careful about the chance of putting two charges of powder in one cartridge case.

When a friend first started reloading, I set him up with a pound of Trail Boss. It is a voluminuous powder which, if you put two charges in a case, it is very easy to see that the case is more full than it should be (almost all the way to the top). Just a little safety factor.

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post.

Good shooting, wear safety glasses, especially when working with primers and don't pinch your fingers in the press.

lost Sheep