THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester primers are undersize in diameter.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The non plated Winchester WLR & WLRM primers I have fit loose in good new brass and measure undersize in diameter.

The WLR unplated primers I have measure 0.2096" in diameter.
The Federal 215 primers I have measure 0.2101" on the same micrometer!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a couple thousand WW primers and never noticed them being undersize, I normally use CCI but bought the WW's when I thought I may get short awhile back.
I have noticed that the chrome plated FED primers seem hard or oversized, not sure which.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I have a couple thousand WW primers and never noticed them being undersize"

Same here!

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, the brass-colored WLR's are a loose fit in most primer pockets. I have a supply and try to use them only in new brass. But so long as they aren't so loose as to fall out they are perfectly fine in any brass. The primer cup obturates immediately to seal the primer pocket regardless of how easy or hard it was to push into place.

Most reloaders who have discussed this subject believe that the only difference in size is the thickness of the nickel plating on plated primers. Could be, but I'll agree that the "looseness" of WLR's is a bit distracting.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesProbably about ten years ago I bought 5k and still have about 1k left. They are deffinetly loose.but with care they are usable.
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. I loaded some last week in new brass and they were very loose. I immediately primed one case with a CCI and it had a firm seat. My WLR primers are less than 5 years old.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using WLR's and WLRM's for several years now and have never had a problem with loose fitting primers in brass that is older 5 or more reloads or newer brass. I don't normally look too closely at my seated primers other than to make sure they are at the right depth. I've got some fairly hard kickers that would probably jar a primer loose. These would include 300 Win Mag, 9.3x62, 45-70 and 358 Win. But then again, I don't spend a lot of time reaming out primer pockets on older brass.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Agreed, I use WLR too and in some cases they seat (too) easily. However,when fired, they don't leak gas and expand fast enough to seal the primer pocket. Thereafter, depriming feels normal with no abnormal looseness.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote