Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Accubond Field Results?
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone used these new bullets to take game yet?

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nope-just loader some 340 wby last wk 225 gr. got to get to range.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Haven't taken any game with them yet, but they have been awesome at the range in my 7mm saum.

100 yard avg. .41"
 -
and 300 yard 1.59" group (high shot in 175 gr. Nosler)
 -

[ 09-11-2003, 06:57: Message edited by: todbartell ]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Todd, those are darn impressive results!

John, my opinion is the Accubond, at least the 200 gr/30 cal I tested, is a "soft" bullet. I test them in sand and found the 180 Speer DeepShok and 180 Nosler fared better, didn't flatten into a pancake like the Accubond and retained a higher percentage of weight. For only a few bucks more than the ballistic tips they certainly seem worth it however. I may try some of the 225's in my 338 for grins... I'll post results if I go that route.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I plan to deer hunt next week with them. I was impressed with their accuracy in my Model 7 7mm SAUM. I shot 3 shots into .455 at 100 yard using 160 grain Accubonds and 59.5 grains of H4831SC.
 -

[ 09-11-2003, 09:20: Message edited by: AlanC ]

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My range testing in two rifles is in line with the results shown here, so they definitely are accurate, BUT I want to see how they work on game! I have an elk and a deer hunt scheduled for this fall and will likely try them myself. They have to be a vast improvement over their non bonded brethren!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
While we are on the topic of the Accubond, does anyone have a good load for the 200 grain .30's in the 300 Winchester?

Thanks

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have wet phone book tested the 160grNAB in my .280 against a bunch of other 160gr bullets. I found them to mushroom about like the NP & penetrate almost as far. I am going to try & stick a 225gr/.338 into an elk this fall & one of the 160gr/7mm into a deer or two. Accuracy is exc. w/ both.

[ 09-11-2003, 22:53: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot with that kind of shooting they well kill deer just find. Anything that you can get shot placement like that [Big Grin] Well kill anything you shoot at because you well have no dought where the bullet is going.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
So far I have been highly impressed with this round. Here are two of the four groups I shot today. These are three shot groups at 100 yards.

-

-

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I picked up some 225 gr .338 Accubonds yesterday... if they'll group in my 338 WM I'll give them a whirl on elk this year.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
They work!! Even at 200yds they held up very well out of the 300 Ultra. I had images of fragments I might find, instead it resembled the 400gr Swift A-Frame I dug out of one from my 416wby at 200 yds not too long ago, only this one wasn't quite the monster that the 416 was. [Big Grin]

The 200gr Accubond measured .645" x .545" accross, the A-Frame was .755" x .690" accross and 365gr. Length was .550" vs. .850" too.

Both moose just absolutely died right then. I think the one hit with the Accubond died just as he hit the ground, the one hit with the 416 died soon as it hit him. [Big Grin]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll repost this here too...

My buddy and I were out looking for his bull Moose yesterday, went to a new area and was quite impressed. Well he ended up scoring a nice little fork horn bull with a perfect broad side shot, just behind the shoulder. He was using some of the handloads I'd worked up for my 300 Ultra in his. Accuracy with this load is consistant in both our rifles and MV within 20 fps. This bullet broke through ribs on both sides and exited with a hole about 1.5", and the bull walked ten feet if that, and hopped a couple times on his front legs and just fell over stone dead. The shot was real near 100 yards and wasn't even ranged. Minimal loss of meat, but real devistation when he was opened up. A high lung shot does 'em in every time.
Sorry, no pix this time, batteries went dead in the camera. I can take pix of the chest tomarrow, but they just what is expected when ribs bust, two big holes in both sides.

I did get a pic of the calf that happened to be standing right on the other side of the bull, had no idea the little thing was even there in the grass behind him, and we were all lucky it didn't get tagged with the exiting bullet too!

We had been watching the one end of this field while setting in the middle of it waiting for a bull to pop out that we saw in the alder row just on the other side a few minutes earlier. After some calling we happened to turn around and the bull had slipped out of the tree line way down past us somehow and was now just standing smack dab in the middle of the field behind us! Well, that's when the shot was taken. When the bull fell the little calf was then visable and just hung out over him like its mamma was shot. Strange, mamma must have been killed earlier or something, cause it sure acted like that bull was the real deal. Even got me wondering if cows had ever been seen with antlers, I certainly never heard of it. It wasn't a cow tho, had the nads to prove that part.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Brent.

I've been getting really good result punching paper with these bullets, and hope to try one out on an elk this year. Glad to hear that they hold together. Do you know what your MV is with your load? It is those 100 yd shots that I'm worried about with my 300rum.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was 3015 fps, his was 3030 fps average when we tested them. Not smokin, but real accurate, and obviously deadly.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Any updates on game? I bought some 375 260 gr for my 378's.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
I've been working with the 160gr Accubond in my 7STW rifle. 74gr IMR7828 with Fed GM215M primers and the bullets loaded into the rifling produces <.5 moa @ 200yards, every time.

Very impressed with paper results. Field results to follow.

VH

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I shot a black bear with a 160 gr. 7mm in Sept., impact speed of 2500 fps or a little more, quartering towards heart shot, bullet exited the rear rib cage, very quick kill, I love these bullets!

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
The Accubond is the best performing plastic tip bullet I have tested, and the only one I can recommend for Elk + sized game.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I just ran into an article in Shooting times that Layne Simpson wrote on the 200 gr 30 cal Accubonds when they were first introduced. He got well under 3" groups at 300 yards with them doing 3050 or so out of a 300 WBY MAG. 100 yds group averaged in the .8's all day long.
He and some Nosler guys shot a whole bunch of Nilgai and they performed like the partitions if not better.
I can not wait to try the 260 gr. in my 378's at say....3150 fps or so? [Big Grin]

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I'm still skeptical... I tested the 200 gr. Accubond in the 300 WSM at 2,850... it flattened like the proverbial pancake in sand while the 180 Partition hung tough and retained a higher percentage of weight. So far my 338 won't group the 225 AB's nor will my 30-06 the 200 grainer... I prefer not to be a guinea pig so I'll wait for other's result's. My initial impression is that, while tougher than the B-Tip, it's still a "soft" bullet.

Here's more food for thought on the AccuBond:

http://scripts.xtremeaccuracy.com/index.cgi?read=48249

one of us
posted Hide Post
30 Cal 180 Accubonds, anyone heard about them yet? A friend is getting some for testing soon, not sure when they'll ship yet.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I called Nosler not too long ago and they said the 180 30 cal were in the works. I will be happy with a 125-130 gr 6.5 mm and a 140 7mm myself ! [Big Grin]

[ 10-29-2003, 00:28: Message edited by: POP ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, what did you test the bullet in? Wasn't it gravel or something? I've made Partitions flatten like pancakes, but not with a realistic test.

As for the link you posted, anytime anybody says a any kind of bullet from anything from 270 and up didn't exit a broadside lung shot through the ribs of a deer I'm very skeptical. I've never seen it happen--even with "fragile" bullets like Matchkings and Ballistic Tips.

Not that the poster is being dishonest, but something freaky must have happened for any 200 grain bullet to fail to make it through the ribcage of a deer--whether the poster knows it or not. Things can happen (the bullet hitting a branch before the animal, etc).

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Jon he said it was tested in sand.

<eldeguello>
posted
Wanted to try the 260-grain .375" on elk this fall, but couldn't find any. I was stuck using a 175-grain Partition in the little 7mm Rem. Mag. instead. Killed a 700-lb bull as if it were struck by lightning! Decided I don't need the .375 H&H - gave it to my son.

<Delta Hunter>
posted
Jon A, I shot a deer last year with the 180 gr. Scirocco (a bonded core bullet) in my .300 Weatherby. It was a classic broadside lung shot in the ribs. Based on the angle of the deer I fully expected to find an exit wound on the offside ribs, but lo and behold, there was none. Instead, the bullet veered hard left and ended up under the hide of the offside shoulder after flattening out like a pancake. It did not encounter any shoulder bone I might add. The distance was only about 15 yards, so the velocity at which it struck the deer must have been close to 3100 fps. All I'm saying is that given the right circumstances (like high velocity impacts with bonded core bullets) it is quite possible for a bullet not to exit a deer on a broadside lung shot. However, in my experience like yours, it rarely happens. The bonded core bullets like the Scirocco might be particularly susceptible to this happening. Time will tell I guess.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
From what I have been told and read from actual game takers is that the Accubond is way tougher than the scirocco.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
A friend of mine shot a bull moose (smallish) with his 308 and 200gr accubond.

The moose took a broadside hit in the shoulder running att full speed at 15 meters distance.
The bullet started att 750 ms/2460 fps, and penetrated both shoulders and got to rest against the hide on the opposite side.

The bullet held together very well, and it must have to, to penetrate like that. We haven�t got around to weight the bullet yet, but expansion was like from a marketing picture.

Accuracy is ok but not spectacular out of mine Sako TRG22. Same for my freind and ot of his Sauer 202. It could have to do with stabilisation and the twist in our 308 barrels, one in 11".

Compared with Norma Oryx, we feel that the Accubond is slightly harder.
We are any how quite impressed with this bullet, and we are going to keep using it.

Br//

[ 11-01-2003, 14:08: Message edited by: Softlead ]

Posts: 68 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Delta Hunter. That's one I'd classify as something "freaky" happening. Anyway, in your case it penetrated the offside shoulder and wasn't simply stopped by the ribs on the offside, correct?

According to my testing, the Scirocco isn't a very deep penetrator. The smaller diameter mushroom--not flattening out like a pancake--is one of the reasons I like the Accubond over the Scirocco. Of course I haven't tested them in anything that was breathing yet. [Wink] Should have more info after the season, I'm using the 200's in my 300 RUM and my dad is using the 225's in his 338 RUM. I'll only be going after deer this year but my dad might be lucky enough to run into an elk....

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote