Notify
Tools

Is this safe?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted
Hey folks,

I came across something that was new to me, but I've heard others mention something like it. I'm reloading some ammo for a LEO buddy of mine for target practice. He gave me about 1,000 cases and small pistol primers for 9mm luger and the same amount of cast 125 grain bullets. The headstamp on some of these cases is WCC 92, so I'm guessing they are milsurp. The primer pockets in these cases is not beveled. The wall of the pocket comes up flush to the head of the case. I tried seating a new primer only to have it smash up to the point of wrinkling the flat side and bulging out of the pocket. I used my rcbs deburring tool to ream out the pocket so I could seat the primers. I kept the dimensions as close as possible to some other cases I was reloading, about .o75 I believe. The primers fit snug, they look and measure like they should. Can someone give me a go or no go for these. I've got pictures, I hope you can see what I mean. Sorry I'm not a great photographer.

This is what it looked like before I beveled it.

This is afterward and with primer seated.

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Hey Quincy. Back the camera off a bit and center focus on the primer (not fingers). Looks odd!

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is common to have to bevel mil-brass that
was crimped in. No sweat it's been done for
at least a hundred years.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
yes, its safe.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Although damm hard work for 9mm brass that can be had for ~$30 a thousand

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The milsurp cases have crimped in primers. You'll need to remove the crimp either by reaming or by swaging. A 80 degree counter sink with the tip slightly ground off in a drill (held in a vise is easiest) will easlly remove the crimp. Just push the deprimed primer pocket lightly onto the countersink and it will cut the crimp away. Doesn't take much and you find how much by trying to seat primers after reaming.

You only have to do it once BTW.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote