Notify
Tools

Favorite Kroil recipes? Please share
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
Hello all,

I've seen stuff about Kroil here in the last few weeks and some of you mentioned mixing it with solvents. Can you guys please share those recipes and how you use them?

Two that interest me most is a copper remover and something for Moly. Shooter's Choice just isn't cutting it for copper, probably because I didn't realize that I wasn't getting all the copper out and it built up. After a recent FailSafe test I also need something to get out Moly, which I don't otherwise use.

Any other tips you can share would also help me and others not yet very familiar with Kroil.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
After a recent bad experience (pitted bore) I will never use the more agressive copper-eating chemicals again. (I had to get a new barrel.)

I had a barrel that copper-fouled and used Shooter's Choice Copper Remover, Barnes CR-10, and Hoppes Benchrest Copper at various times. I never mixed the above (at least intentionally), but I still wound up with a pitted (but bright) barrel.

From now on I'm back to my old standard:

First patch Kroil

then alternating Hoppe's #9 and RemClean.

Final patch Kroil, then dry.

The above gets out everything including moly without etching your barrel.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a funny one.
At work a guy was unfamiliar with Kroil. One day he had a bolt that was frozen fast. I talked him into putting Kroil on the bolt's threads before lunch. While we were at lunch I had a buddy loosen the bolt with a large wrench. When we returned from lunch my coworker found out how well the Kriol "works"
I never did admit the truth, he suspects something, but has no idea for sure what happened

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Kroil is NOT a copper remover, it's a penetrating oil. I use it for cleaning carbon residue out of the bore. It's as good or better than anything I have ever used for that express purpose. I used it for quite some time in the recommended benchrest mixture of a third Kroil and the rest Shooter's Choice. I ultimately decided it was diluting the properties for which the two companies that marketed those solvents spent tens of thousands of dollars in research and I wasn't improving on either. What made me, or anyone, think I could do better? The benchrest guys that use moly used the Shooter's Choice mixture to maintain moly coverage in the barrel and remove, through the penetrating action of Kroil, any copper that was left over the moly coating. I worked well for that without removing the moly.

I run two patches of Kroil through my bore first thing when I clean. I use my favorite copper remover and when I'm done with removing the copper, I swab out with Kroil. Love the stuff, but strictly on it's own for the purpose for which it was formulated.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just 1 drop in the asshole at work's coffee will send them to the shitter for 24
hrs. that silikroil is good stuff!!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote