New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Reloder Powders getting "faster"?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have noticed of late, tht Rel 22 and Rel 25 have been much "faster" than a few years ago.

Used to use up to 81 gr of Rel 25 in a 300 Win with 180 gr bullets for 3,000 fps.

Now 75 gr of Rel 25 is plenty hot.

Also used to use 74 to 76 gr of Rel 22 with 180 gr bullets in the 300 Win and now 70 gr is enough.

It almost seems like they have "mis-packaged" Rel 22 into Rel 25 cans, and maybe Rel 19 into Rel 22 cans.

So where did the real Rel 25 go to? In Rel "26"?

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry it is entirely possible. I haven't moved on to the newer lots, all of my 22/25 being several years old. 2, maybe 3 years back there was a particular lot of RX22 that was recalled, had burn characteristics not unlike RX19.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
how temperature sensitive is Reloader22 ?, will loads worked up in 70 degrees shoot near the same at 25 degrees? I've found a great load for 200gr Accubonds in my 300wm Browning A-Bolt. 72.4gr RE22 at 70 degrees 2960 fps groups at .65" at 100yrds

Posts: 207 | Location: South Central Montana | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The last jug of RL22 I bought was about 2 to maybe 3 grains SLOWER than the lot before in my 7mag. Sounds like we're seeing "normal" variation.

I've started burning a lot of "Ramshot" powders for that reason: double based, ball powders, more temp stable, and rather clean. Love RL22, but don't like to have to start at "zero" to work up loads every time. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Terry, I tried the "RL" Powders for about a 4-5 year period and ended up giving all of mine to a buddy. I think I had RL-15, 19 and 22. I probably used 3 jugs of the 15 and 19 and two of the 22. He has had good luck with them, but I don't know if he plans to buy more or not.

I tried them in (I think) 4 different rifles and found they gave erratic Pressure fluctuations as you got near what I considered a SAFE MAX. I've never heard of anyone else having experienced this though.

Had the same thing happen many years ago with a can of IMR-4320 in a 300Sav. Switched to IMR-4064 and the Pressure fluctations immediately stopped. Don't know why that happed either as no one else I knew back then had ever experienced that problem with IMR-4320 in their 300Savages.

Can't comment about a "Burning Rate Change".

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe it is variation in lots as well - extreme variation.

I used to load 59 grains of RL-22 over a 130 grain Hornady in the .270 for about 3160 fps. That is below book max adn by all indications was a very safe and sane load.

The next lot of RL-22 I had gave over 3300 fps with that same load and produced classic high pressure signs - ejector mark and very heavy bolt lift. I put that lot aside and tried another. 58 grains of this third lot give low to mid 3100 fps velocities but that is as far as I want to go.

Same-same with a .300 Win. Mag. A safe charge weight with 180 grain bullets using the first lot gave ejector marks and heavy bolt lift using that same charge weight of the second lot with 165 grain bullets! Geez, I'm glad I did not just load some more 180 grainers.

I will use up this third 5 pound lot and will try to work up loads with the second very fast lot in my .30-06, treating it like RL-19 and will be VERY conservative at that.

After these are used up then no more RL-22 for me. Just too much variation.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
As you likely know, Alliant doesn't actually manufacture its ReL series. Those powders are made for them by the same firm that manufactures Norma powders.

As you also likely recall, large lot variations (as far as burn speed) was a long-standing complaint by many reloaders against Norma powders too.

I find the stuff works great (both Norma & ReL), but I try to buy in 32 lb. increments, all from the same lot, if my wallet will allow it. That way when I get a load worked up for any particular one (Say ReL-19, for instance), I know it will be consistent for me for a number of years.

I also find that with these powders I feel more comfortable not trying to drive them "pedal to the metal". Rather than trying to get Ferrari performance out of my Yugo cartridges with Nobel-manufactured powders, I just use a bigger cartridge with a still moderate load if I need more power.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only are there significant lot to lot variations with RL22 but there also seems to be significant variation in speed due to temperature changes.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had at least 2 lots of RL-22 that were way faster than prior lots...5-7 grains less powder to get the same results (actually, pressure signs before reaching velocity of other lots). I have never seen this much variation in any other powders.

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I still have a little of that RL-22 that the Alliant web site had a caution on. It was lot #25083 and it said to be sure you start with the starting load instead of a recall. About or before that time I was having trouble with the burn rates of their RL-15, 19, and 22. I bought 5lb jugs of each and they seem to be right on compared to the 1lb jugs I was buying at the time. I don't usually use RL-22 in my 30-06 but tried some of this stuff, before I knew about the caution, with a 180grn bullet and got the fastest velocity I've ever got with that size bullet. I've been scared to try and repeat that but I don't remember any way-out pressure signs. Who knows, this stuff may be the missing link. BM

Bill

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote