New
Find
Notify
Tools

brass sizing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
should I run my new .45 colt brass through the full length sizing die before loading?

Is it required to trim the brass before the first loading?

I don't have a trimmer
Any recommendations?

I have read about primer pocket uniforming tools.
Is that necesary?

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Yes, size the brass before every loading.

If you crimp it is required for consistant crimps. I have an rcbs trimmer. I removed the hand crank and installed a small hex head bolt so I can turn it with my cordless drill.

You will also want to deburr the case mouths after triming

I deburr flash holes instead of uniforming the pockets. The rcbs case prep station is a great tool for all the deburring and chamfering.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
DITTO on the RCBS case prep staition

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'll make the assumption you are using these in a handgun &/or lever rifle. You should full length size new brass, it's not always round. They should all be the same length so your crimp is uniform & the only way to do it is a trimmer, but you are probbly ok w/ new brass. I would not put any energy into the primer pockets at all, deburring & uniforming are little tricks for the high end accuracy requirements of varmint & target shooters.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trim 45 Colt brass?

I have never trimmed a straight wall case in my life, and 45 Colt would be the last one that would ever need it.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigguns45:
should I run my new .45 colt brass through the full length sizing die before loading? For uniformity, I always do this with new handgun cases.

Is it required to trim the brass before the first loading? Only if they are not all the same length. Any cases that require a crimp must be all the same length.

I don't have a trimmer
Any recommendations? This is one item you must have, if loading handgun ammo!! Get one!

I have read about primer pocket uniforming tools.Is that necesary?
NOPE!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very seldom trim handgun brass it is totally a waste of time because the is little variance in straight walled cases they don't stretch as much as rifle cases, the crimp is always tight and in place, also get good accuracy i used to trim every case until i learned better.