Notify
Tools

Need A quickload simulation Please!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
I know, I should get my own...and I will soon. Anyway here it goes
378 WBY MAgnum, 270 Barnes XLC (coated Bullet) and 114GR H4831 SC.
Actual velocity is 3160 fps.
Brass is WBY make and primers are 215br. Coal is 3.685"

Again Thanx in advance guys! I do appreciate it!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP--saw your post and when I got home I checked the barnes (red) manual. This doesn't have the coated bullets in it. You are 2 grains over the non coated version. I've cross referenced alot of the latest barnes data and I will say it's got to be on the upper end. Especially considering your velocity. (From what I'm seeing barnes is backing off of their "more powder is ok" with the blue coating theme) I wouldn't trust quickload to make a call on this because it isn't always accurate predicting the weatherby calibers. If you can't see the normal pressure signs I'd go by number of reloadings per primer pocket to make the call. Good luck--be happy--there is NOTHING I would be afraid to tackle with that load at that speed.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx . The load does look good and so far... tight pockets etc. Just a bit anal when I go over the max...but as you said I am 2 grains over BUT they do not use a coated bullet in that edition of the Barnes manual. Actually I do not think they use a coated bullet in the newer manual either.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i am always interested n calibrating quickload to data, so for your load in 26 barrel, simulation shows 3063ft./sec@61.4kpsi and 3036@58.3k for moly coated bullet.

Posts: 359 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx Guys. That helps a lot. I wonder how much additional pressure I am into since I am doing 100 fps more with the coated XLC's. I thank you again...POP [Wink]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
steve505,

Can you do 110 grains of Varget with 270 grain Hornady in the 378.

That was an overload I once fired out of a Mark V in 378.

Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Mike:

You are a very brave man, shooting a load like that!!!! [Eek!]

[ 10-24-2002, 05:26: Message edited by: POP ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
POP,

It was a loading mistake.

The Redding measure was set to throw to 54 grains of IMR 4350 so 108 grains with two pulls with 270 grain Hornadies.

I was about to switch to varget for some lower loads and you can guess the rest. I never actually weighed the Varget charge but I know that Varget generally throws a couple grains more than IMR 4350 for same measure setting.

As to the results. I did not know it until I went to open the bolt. That required hitting the bolt handle while my mate banged up an down with a ram rod. The action appeared to set back about .001" or so. We could tell that by rechambering some cases fired that day at the range. There was just the slightes amount of bolt play (backwards and forwards) with the previously fireformed brass.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! 110g Hodgdon VARGET 3332ft/sec.@99.7kpsi.

Posts: 359 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
steve505,

Thanks for that.

The load was not chronographed. As I said I was not aware until I wbnet to open the bolt. I was wering plugs and muffs so noise was not an issue, in terms of a different noise.

Apart from the "guessed" .001" setback no "apparent" damage was done to the rifle. Some time later the rifle was sold (as are most 378s [Big Grin] ) and I told the buyer about the big load. The chamber did not appear to expand as the buyer had a neck sizing die made for it and has no problems.

Mike

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
man those weatherbies will hold won't they? [Big Grin]