THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Which Free PC-based Ballistics Programme to Install?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Free PC-based Ballistics Programme to Install?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
I do hope this is an appropriate forum for my question. Probably been asked before, but I'm not quite sure of how to search. Sorry, I'm a PC-idiot! Wink

I am an old, or shall I say ex-reloader. Nowadays I simply make my own bullets and do no experimenting and load development. You know, I just sort of churn out relaods that are accurate and effective killers in my few rifles. But I do long to know a bit more about the external ballistics of my loads. I do have an own CHRONY and some mathematical aptitude, but have very limited PC knowledge. So whatever is recommended should be (i) absolutely free (ii) easy to download, install and get going on a slow Internet connection (iii) usable by an old very PC illiterate guy like myself.

And suggestions and recommendations?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the point blank software (free). Very easy to use and one of the best.
Here is link to there forum and it can be found on the web site. Small download and I run it on W98.
Good luck and join the forum also.

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/calculations.html

I'm not sure about downloading but it works well.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kuna, ID | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
I do hope this is an appropriate forum for my question. Probably been asked before, but I'm not quite sure of how to search. Sorry, I'm a PC-idiot! Wink

I am an old, or shall I say ex-reloader. Nowadays I simply make my own bullets and do no experimenting and load development. You know, I just sort of churn out relaods that are accurate and effective killers in my few rifles. But I do long to know a bit more about the external ballistics of my loads. I do have an own CHRONY and some mathematical aptitude, but have very limited PC knowledge. So whatever is recommended should be (i) absolutely free (ii) easy to download, install and get going on a slow Internet connection (iii) usable by an old very PC illiterate guy like myself.

And suggestions and recommendations?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Check out this link from Steve’s pages. Point Blank may work for you, I have it on my computer although I don’t use it much. This page has a lot of links to computer programs.

http://stevespages.com/page8b.htm

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Check out this free program from Norma: http://www.norma.cc/default.asp?Lang=2#
At that page, click Ballistic US

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For less than twenty bucks a year (renewals are even less) you can join www.ammoguide.com and have a wealth of really fabulous firearms stuff right at your fingertips. They have over 700 cartridges there and over 17,000 loads, all of which have been verified. They have a visual comparison tool, a ballistics comparison tool, a tool to draw experimental cartridges that do not exist save for in your mind, a forum to discuss various subjects in a manner befitting polite gentlemen, a tool for generating a ballistics table, and lots of other great stuff. I like to be able to visually and ballistically compare up to eight cartridges at one time, side-by-side, in 100% scale with each other. I am a member over there under a different username, and I love it. They have a free demonstrator side, so check it out. Below is how the visual comparison tool shows up to eight cartridges side by side. Clicking on the red below the drawing will reveal oodles of things to know about each one. The drawings are accurate to 0.010 inches. Nothing at ammoguide touches your hard-drive-- it's all done on their servers. What's not to like?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Wow! There are a lot of things out there for downloading. Thanks for all who took the trouble to make the suggestions. clap

I can now vouch and say that PointBland downloads, installs, is easy to work with and does all I want to at present do, and some more!

Thanks again.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to huntingnut website. Where is the download?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I went to huntingnut website. Where is the download?

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3

There's a new version due out soon.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote