New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4198 or H 4198
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just seeing if I am the only dinosauer that uses 4198 for downloading cartridges any more?

If others do it, would be interested if you have noticed any accuracy of one over the other.

Currently I use it in 22/250 to 338 Mag.

appreciate any feed back.

Thanks.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I've tired both brands of 4198 in my .243Win., 7.62 x 54R and .30-06, all with cast bullets, and could discern no difference in accuracy. However, the H4198 was a trifle faster than its IMR twin. Hope this helps!

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they're sorta hard to compare because of the slight differences in burn rate, kernel size, coatings, etc. I know the types are very similar, but they aren't exact duplicates. That said, I've had better accuracy over the years (35) with IMR. FWIW, Hogdon does not make any of the powder they market. I don't know, does IMR make their own???

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 4198 in a couple of different firearms including using it for reduced cast bullet loads.

I used IMR 4198 for a long time just because I bought a bunch of it cheap when a store was going out of business. It worked just fine.

I finally tried some H 4198 just for kicks. I find myself using more and more Hodgdon and Vihtavuori powders. I found that I got the same level of accuracy and that it was easier to measure. I found little difference on the chronograph, though with the lots I tested, I had to use about a half grain more H 4198 to get the same velocity.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote