New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making 25-35 bras from 30-30
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody done this? Need an intermediate die?

I've tried making Donaldson Wasp brass from 30-30 ll kinds of ways w/o luck, altho Buffalo does it.

Thanks

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made 100 by using once fired cases and the standard .25-35 sizing die. Used Imperial sizing lube and pushed into die until resistance became excessive - redistributed lube and continued - needed two redistributing cycles. Necks were fine in my rifle but may require neck turning in some. Didn't loose a case.

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What WJW said.

Have made .25 Remington from .30 Remington in the same way.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to make wasp brass?
I have a full set of form dies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've routinely made Savage .22HiPower brass from .30-30's. (It's essentially the .25-35 necked down to .228".) An intermediate die helps a lot - I use a 7-30 Waters - but going straight into the .22HP die can be done too. As stated above, incremental insertion to include wiping/re-lubing is key - as many as a half dozen increments. Neck/shoulder annealing before and after is your friend too.

Figure on losing a few cases as you get through the learning curve, but after that it's smooth (but slow) sailing.

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a side note, never use 25-35 brass for anything accept reloading 25-35s, always use 30-30 brass is class 101, 25-35 brass is inferior, always has been for whatever reason known only by the red gods of wildcatting. Ive been reloading 25-35 out of necessity for many years. I have several..
Using 30-30 case in a 25-35 file trim die to start with, then full lenth resize 30-30 brass..optional to use an intermediate 284 die to neck size to start with....I use an annealing mandrel from MIdway or Brownells made by Little Crow. hold it in your hand and heat with a butane torch..that unit is about $10. per caliber..slow but really works..Lot of options in this process...so my favorite would be:

1. anneal the 30-30 case
2.Neck it down to 284 (optional)
3.run it through a 25-35 file trim die and file trim it as long as your there.
4. Some fire form it at this point I just load them and hunt with that load, I see no reason to fireform.
5. You might consider annealing again at this point, never hurts, Ive done this step both ways

BTW, I started annealing the unit chucked up in my hand drill press, the hand held deal bit me a few times, got a tad warm! homer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a collet in a South Bend Heavy 10 to intermediate-size 284 brass for 6mm-284.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14394 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote