New
Find
Notify
Tools

.256 brass
 Login/Join

<Drifty>
posted
I am looking for a place to buy new .256 win mag brass. Anybody got any ideas? I can't seem to find much so far.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Drifty>
posted
Four out of five of those are new to me. Thanks, I will check them out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't done it, so I won't swear that it's quick and easy, but I would think that it is not impossible to form .256 Winchester from its parent .357 Magnum. If I were you, I'd at least try running a well-lubed .357 into my .256 FL die and see what the results are. .357 is certainly a cheap and easily obtained base stock.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Forming .256 from .357 is a two step process. Redding makes a set of forming dies just to do that.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Drifty>
posted
I went to the Scrounger site and they have some form dies that are suposedly made by RCBS/C-H. Is that a RCBS product, or are they combining two brands under one listing?

I am not aquainted with the C-H brand. Is that the CH Tool and Die Company? I have heard of them but haven't had any personal experience with them. Are they standard thread bodies for most presses? I use a Rockchucker press.

[ 06-19-2002, 01:30: Message edited by: Drifty ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Pacific form die set, it works great. But you can get by using a Lee 7.62X25 Tokerev size die as the first step, and a .256 mag die to finish it off. No need to get the form set unless you really want to. I got a screaming deal on mine, so of course had to get it.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
CH-4D makes the best dies I have ever had the pleasure of using. While I only own one set-.50 BMG-the finish and fitting is lightyears beyond RCBS and even my favorite-until CH-4D-Redding. I would think they offer the forming sets in both RCBS and CH-4D and that was why they listed them that way.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Drifty>
posted
I talked to the scrounger site and they sell the CH dies from CH tool and die 4D. Got them coming.

Thanks Big Bore, for the recomendation. It feels better to be buying something that at least someone else likes. I am also getting the Redding dies for reloading. I have been an RCBS fan up till now, we will see how these other products pan out.

I can't wait to see how all this works out. More fun at the bench.

Thanks to all for your input, it was appreciated.

<Headstamp>
posted
You can also purchase direct from Dave at CH/4D. Huge selection of die calibers and specialty dies.

http://www.ch4d.com/