New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-120 smokeless powder loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for smokeless powder loads anyone has tried in a 45-120. Of particular interest are jacketed and FMJ bullet loads in the 450 to 500 grain class.

Thanks,
TEG

Posts: 292 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEG:
I rechambered a Kodiak MkIV from 45-70 to 45-120 by hand with a T Handle and a finish reamer. The rifle was just as accurate afterward as before. The factory sights were regulated prior to the rechamber with a 300 gr factory load. After the rechamber the rifle shot dead on to the sights with a 480 Woodleigh at 2060 fps. Took all of 30 minutes to do both barrels, reassemble and test fire. Try doing this job in your lathe in 30 minutes RBG.

Toad

seems like you already have some, and chronographed too... or was that another lie

jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso,
Yes got a load worked up, but would like to get about another 60 - 70 fps out of the ol' girl. Interested in hearing what others have gotten out this round and what powders they have been using.
Is that okay with you?

TEG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TEGGY - Add about 10 grains of Red Dot to your regular load. That should boost the velocity up where you want it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos,

Thanks for the information. I will try it next time I take the 45-120 out. I knew that you would come around sometime and we could interact like mature adults.

TEG

[ 10-31-2002, 05:45: Message edited by: TEG ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
TEGGY - Add about 10 grains of Red Dot to your regular load. That should boost the velocity up where you want it. [Big Grin]

LMFAO!!!

and here he goes, asking for the same advice he reams others for asking about
jeffe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TEG: Pecos, thanks for the information. I will try it next time I take the 45-120 out. I knew that you would come around sometime and we could interact like mature adults. TEG
TEGGY - I always knew you were a big cut and paster. And there's never been much doubt in anyone's mind that you are an idiot who really knows just enough about guns to be dangerous to himself and anyone around him.

You just proved it with this masterpiece of stupidity! [Eek!]

Anyone who knows their ass from a hole in the ground about reloading knows that tossing 10 grains of Red Dot into a full charge of powder for this imaginary 45/120 would create a bomb! [Eek!] For sure it would get the velocity increase you wanted...but this bogus load would include chunks of the action as well!

So, for your own good...please leave the gun talk to the guys who know what they are doing. Your lack of real experience is appalling and is exceeded only by your desire to make a fool of yourself REPEATEDLY.

With a little more effort you might have a REAL life and not have to do all this pretending. (Just a friendly suggestion) [Smile]

Now, this is where you post a reply claiming you knew all along about the Red Dot gag, blaa, blaa, blaa [Big Grin]

<ToddE>
posted
No, I didn't know about the Red Dot. But I don't have a rifle yet, either. As soon as I'm eighteen, though, I think my uncle is going to get me one, then I can learn to hunt. How much do sleeping bags cost? I want my own next time me and my uncle go camping.

I'm sorry I wasn't polite on the other posts. My mother was out of town and didn't remind me about my lithium until she called on the phone.

I'm OK, now.

Todd

P. S. Thanks for telling me the truth about the Red Dot. My uncle might have tried it. He says you never know whether you'll like something unless you try it. But I think sometimes you just know.

[ 10-31-2002, 23:18: Message edited by: ToddE ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like he's getting his multiple personalities mixed up. Why won't this guy go back about his boring job at Boulevard Title Co. 29425 Chagrin Blvd. Cleveland OH 44122 (216)-464-9617?

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:
Looks like he's getting his multiple personalities mixed up. Why won't this guy go back about his boring job at Boulevard Title Co. 29425 Chagrin Blvd. Cleveland OH 44122 (216)-464-9617?

Good point, Kevin. I think we should all call him up and ask him. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
TODE Toad Piss off you POS! What's your malfunction? Did'nt mommy and daddy pay you enough attention as a kid? Don't leave mad, JUST leave!!!
Henrik

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone who knows their ass from a hole in the ground about reloading knows that tossing 10 grains of Red Dot into a full charge of powder for this imaginary 45/120 would create a bomb! [Eek!] For sure it would get the velocity increase you wanted...but this bogus load would include chunks of the action as well!

You know, I was just humming through this thread, more or less just scanning it, and saw the "10 grains of Red Dot" recommendation -- and I thought... "HUH?!"

Silly me. It didn't occur to me that you MEANT to kill him. My mistake. I needn't have been concerned. All is well.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos45,
Shit! I loaded those up last night. I am glad that I looked here again though. I was taking those out Saturday to try out. Please in the future don't assume I know you are pulling my leg. YOU might get me killed or something.

How do you unloaded loaded ammunition without firing it off?

Actually, I no longer work at Boulevard Title Company. I left there sometime ago. They canned me.

TEG

[ 11-01-2002, 04:31: Message edited by: TEG ]

<KBGuns>
posted
Impact bullet puller, it looks like a plastic hammer, MIDWAY has them. NEVER mix powders.

Kristofer [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
KBGuns,

Thanks! I know a couple of guys that do duplex loads. Heck Robgunbuilder says he does BP duplex loads. So why can't you mix powders?

TEG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So why can't you mix powders? TEG

TEGGY - Go out and shoot these loads and find out for yourself? [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] Actually we both know neither the gun nor the ammunition exists, TEGGY, so you can stop pretending now. [Big Grin]

What a fool. [Roll Eyes]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell - "The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature."

If you ever get down towards Texas, let me know and we'll go have a cold one and talk about unpleasant deeds. My treat. [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KBGuns:
Impact bullet puller, it looks like a plastic hammer, MIDWAY has them. NEVER mix powders.

Kristofer [Cool]

KB - Since TEGGY is now unemployed, maybe we should suggest a less expensive option for him. What if he just held this ammunition, primers down, over an open flame?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TEGGY - I note your email address has suddenly changed to reflect your new unemployed status.

My question is, if they fired you "some time ago," why were you urging members to email you at Boulevard Title as recently as a day or two ago? Hmmmmmmmmmm? Inquiring minds want to know. [Big Grin]

It's the shits being a chronic liar, isn't it TEGGY/Todd? You can never remember who you told what lie! Poor guy. I almost feel sorry for you. [Wink]

[ 11-01-2002, 05:48: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
"READ" each word, "TEG."

============================

quote:
I am looking for smokeless powder loads...

quote:
Heck Robgunbuilder says he does BP duplex loads. So why can't you mix powders?

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos45,
I hardly think I am the fool. Afterall, I did not post a load, which in a double rifle could hav had, shall we say, terrible consequences.

In my book, and most civil lawyers I would imagine as well, that makes you the FOOL!

Are you from New Mexico or Texas? You condescending attitude is so very familiar to me. There is another texan here, who shares many of the same life experiences as you I might add, that you very much remind me of. I find it EXTREMELY amusing that he lacks the guts to post YOUR posts under his original handle!

And you say I have multiple personalities! Go figure.

Russ,
Duplex and even triplex loads are done everyday. This is nothing new. If Pecos doesn't know that it is not my problem. I would not use his load formulas for my duplex loads though. Could be kinda bad.

TEG

[ 11-01-2002, 06:51: Message edited by: TEG ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duplex and even triplex loads are done everyday.
ToadE

and if you had a clue about it, the hot powder is loaded FIRST, closest to the primer... should have been your first clue

jeffe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duplex and even triplex loads are done everyday. This is nothing new.

Thanks for this post TEG...I've waited all night for you to swing your bullshit around 180 degrees and suddenly claim you know ALL about duplex loads. Hahahahaha. I guess you had to do a little reading up on it to find out what the hell I was even talking about eh? You are such a MO-RON. I can't wait for one of the other members to smack your stupid ass back into my court so I can backhand you again.

quote:
Originally posted by TEG the Fool: If Pecos doesn't know that it is not my problem. I would not use his load formulas for my duplex loads though.
quote:
Originally posted by TEG: Pecos45,
Shit! I loaded those up last night. I am glad that I looked here again though. I was taking those out Saturday to try out. Please in the future don't assume I know you are pulling my leg.

Can someone help me with these remarks? Until I bitch slapped TEG with the duplex load posted above, he didn't have a F%$#ing clue what I was even talking about. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Now his fermented little brain has twisted it around where I'm the one who never heard of a duplex load!

Wow. I wish my body were as flexible as TEG's little brain. This boy stretches like a human condom. [Big Grin]

[ 11-01-2002, 07:28: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell - Excellent serve on the "smokeless powder." I fear TEG doesn't know any more about powders than he does reloading...or for that matter fornicating. I suspect all the above are virgin topics to him. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russ,
Duplex and even triplex loads are done everyday. This is nothing new. If Pecos doesn't know that it is not my problem. I would not use his load formulas for my duplex loads though. Could be kinda bad.

No, they are not new concepts. (You are, but they aren't.)

Dick Casull (I get "postal" when people pronounce/spell "Casull" as "Casual" or "Caselle"... Jesus H. Christ)... who was one of the brave souls who "played" with triplex loads... did so when other powders, which we now have available, were NOT available to do what he needed from his guns/loads. Even he, now, would tell you NOT to mess with such things. Now, coming from HIM, most people would take that as gospel.

I also take you to task over your "everyday" comment. I submit that you're full of shit. I further submit that you cannot find where any vast, countless number of people are undertaking duplex and TRIPLEX loads with "SMOKELESS" powder. I know it's hard for you to learn about such things on your own (information like this is typically concealed -- in books), but you just can't keep tying up space with such stupid drivel as doing duplex loads with smokeless powder in .45-120 ammunition. You sincerely try my non-existent patience. If this were the 1880s, I could shoot you in the gut and let you bleed to death in a mud puddle in the middle of Main Street. Further, no one who knew you would feel anything toward me except, perhaps, an obligation to reimburse me for the spent round of .45 Colt.

Russ
NCOWS #629
SASS #39967

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russell - "The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature."

If you ever get down towards Texas, let me know and we'll go have a cold one and talk about unpleasant deeds. My treat. [Big Grin]

I'm much obliged for the invite.

Find us some big, mean, wild hogs... I'll bring my .500 Linebaugh.

Russ

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russell E. Taylor:
Further, no one who knew you would feel anything toward me except, perhaps, an obligation to reimburse me for the spent round of .45 Colt.

Russ
NCOWS #629
SASS #39967

Where do I send my quarter to, Russ?

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Where do I send my quarter to, Russ?

http://huntofalifetime.org/

Thanks.

Russ

<2 Bore>
posted
Russ,
You are one bad dude! Remind me never to try your non-existent patience.

RAB

<KBGuns>
posted
TEG,

It goes like this. Never mix powders, keep both eyes and hands. Mix powders, maybe keep both eyes and hands, maybe not. I am conservative by nature. I do not undstand hot loading cartridges, except in a few individual rounds when in certian guns. However, weather or not I know anything about laoding a certian calibur, if some one tells me to throw in a few grains of some pistol powder, I know I will not do it.

The only published duplex smokeless powder load I have come across is for the 700NE. Tho these loads are for a 700NE built in a single shot 50BMG bolt action, I think they have a large margin for safety.

Kristofer

[ 11-02-2002, 05:14: Message edited by: KBGuns ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KBGUNS - Not to worry, my friend. The only thing TEG has ever "reloaded" in his life was a water pistol...and then he lost the stopper. [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well shucks,I came here to read about some good smokeless loads for my 45/120.Instead I got more of this troll hunting BS and a lesson on why you shouldn't mix powders (well,DUH).

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BrianM, personally I think the troll hunters are worse than the troll! If they would simply ignore the guy he would get bored and LEAVE! (DUH)

Casey

[ 11-03-2002, 03:22: Message edited by: CASEY ]

<KBGuns>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Brian M:
Well shucks,I came here to read about some good smokeless loads for my 45/120.Instead I got more of this troll hunting BS and a lesson on why you shouldn't mix powders (well,DUH).

Brian.

Not every one is as smart as you, ocasionally we need to condust a remedial class.

Kristofer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who owns a reloading manual will know that mixing powders is on par with sticking your finger in a light socket.

Don't try to tell me that TEG,with all his BS knowledge of action strengths,has never read the first five pages of any of his reloading manuals.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote