Tools

338 win mag and RL-19
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, I am new to the 338 win mag. For the 225 grain bullets and RL-19:
Hornady #8 lists 73.3 grain max
Alliant web lists 78.0 grain max

The Alliant load seems aggressive. Anyone using it with Nosler Partitions?
Is it a highly compressed load?

Thanks,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to call BS on the Alliant data. I load 76 grains of RL-19 in my .338 with 200-grain bullets - it is maximum in my rifle and not compressed. I'd start three-four grains under the Hornady maximum data and work up carefully.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler #7 manual lists Rldr-19 at 70.0 gr. for a min. and 74.0 as a max. for their 225 gr. bullet. I'd say that the Allliant data is a bit on the "aggressive" side.
As a side note, I use 73.0 grs. of Rldr-22 in my .338 WM with a 225 gr. bullet. I wouldn't go any higher than the Nosler book max.
Good luck
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used up to 75 gr. of R-19 with 225 partitions. My regular load is 74. Alliant data uses speer bullets.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After you work up a load for your Noslers you might want to try the Barns TTSX 225's. Accuracy with the Noslers in my .338 is OK but the Barns are fantastic. I hope they work as well on elk as they do on paper.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of Alliant's RL series is made by Bofors of Sweden and is essentially the same powder as sold under the Norma label. This series of Bofors powders, while providing excellent performance, has a reputation for varying from lot to lot somewhat more than most canister-grade powders. Combined with the fact that the two data sources undoubtedly used different test guns in which their data was developed, it is reasonable to assume that both sources are "right" for the gun used and the powder lot used.

Your gun and powder lot will be different from EITHER of those data sources, so it is up to you to use proven methodology to work up the load which is appropriate to your gun and powder lot.

By the way, when using any powder, particularly one of the RL or Norma series, it is wise to purchase enough of one lot to last you for a significant period of time. Otherwise, when you change lots you'll be starting over in working up your load (or wondering why your bolt lift is sticky and primers have a smokey ring around them).

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good advice. When I buy powder these days( when I can find it) I always buy at least 2 lbs w/ the same lot numbers.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Most of Alliant's RL series is made by Bofors of Sweden and is essentially the same powder as sold under the Norma label. This series of Bofors powders, while providing excellent performance, has a reputation for varying from lot to lot somewhat more than most canister-grade powders. Combined with the fact that the two data sources undoubtedly used different test guns in which their data was developed, it is reasonable to assume that both sources are "right" for the gun used and the powder lot used.

Your gun and powder lot will be different from EITHER of those data sources, so it is up to you to use proven methodology to work up the load which is appropriate to your gun and powder lot.

By the way, when using any powder, particularly one of the RL or Norma series, it is wise to purchase enough of one lot to last you for a significant period of time. Otherwise, when you change lots you'll be starting over in working up your load (or wondering why your bolt lift is sticky and primers have a smokey ring around them).

Stonecreek, A mind of information right there. beer cheers jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote