Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Who likes H-380?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted
Love H-380 in my 7mm-08. Gives me good velocity and accuracy. I found less bore fouling when using a mag primer.

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H-380 is an excellent powder, especially with magnum primers. It is very accurate in my 7-08AI. Like mentioned earlier, it is a little dirtier than other powders, but I can live with that if the accuracy is there.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stopped at my local shop and asked for a ball powder to use in my 30-06 instead of my trusty ol' IMR-4350. Just thought I'd try a powder that metered nice and smooth.

On the bottle it lists loads for several different guns and it had a load using 56.5g. H-380 w/Sierra 165 HPBT's , one of my favorite bullets! It said 2890fps. As my gun usally likes 1g. under max I setteled on 55.5g. and my gun loves it! Seems just as accurate as 4350 and meters smooth as butter.

I've never heard much about H-380, therefore it doesn't seem very popular. Hmmmm. why not?

Thanks,
Redrider.

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have used h380 for a while in my 308 and tried it in the 30/06. it shoot pretty good in the 308 and only marginal groups in the 06.
I found the 308 liked 168mks and cci250m primers ol @ 2.87".
I later switched to h414.for the .308 and went back ti imr 4064 for the 06 it shoots a little better groups at long range with the 308. it showed less Standard deviation in velocity than the h380.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've never heard much about H-380....

Got its fame -- and it's name -- because Bruce Hodgdon discovered it shot one-hole groups with his .22-caliber wildcat (now known as the .22-250 Remington) with "38.0" grains of this particular spherical powder. Known forever more as H380.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Works fine in .257 Bob with the lighter bullets.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The only cartridge I have ever used it in is the .308, but it is about the optimum powder with the 165-168 grain bullets in the .308. 100% loading density, high velocity, and extremely accurate......

one of us
posted Hide Post
H-380 gives excellent results in the .22-250 and some other calibers. It is dirtier than other powders, however, and will reauire more frequent cleaning. Target work will require the use of JB Compound to keep your barrel really clean. Cleaning while still hot from being fired with plain solvent like Hoppe's helps. Use magnum primers or Winchester standard LR, it's tough to light off properly.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a case of CCI 200 primers so that's what I light off all my rounds with. How do I know if I should use a magnum primer, they all go Bang! now.

Hey SST, a 7-08AI sounds about as close to a 284Win as you can get, huh? My other hunting gun is a Win mdl. 100 in 284 that's why that caught my attention.

Have a good one,
Redrider.

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use it in my 22-250 with very accurate results. Personally I've not found it necessary to clean any more than with any other powder I've used. Shooting over a chronograph has shown it to be pretty temperature sensitive, however.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
H 380 will make a pretty fine 30-30 win. round too.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto in my 22-250. In fact when I mass load for a prairie dog shoot thats all I use. I have a "go to" load that just works in my gun and I can load a bunch without having to weigh every charge. Bruce Hodgdon saved me lots of $$$ and time. Its supposed to work pretty good in my .260 as well but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Shoot it in my custom 22-250 w/1-9 twist barrel and the Sierra 60 & 69 grn JHP. I use 37grns. I get Minute of Prairie Dogs at 400yds so that's enough. Runs through the powder measure like water. Always Very close on weight.
I tried the famous "38 grns" but it didn't shoot any better and was only 100fps faster. Didn't need that for Prairie Dogs and Yotes. Burns clean in my 26" stainless barrel.
I buy it in the Big jugs. Go for it.

Mike

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Like it?

Well, I found it to be the powder of choice in 29 different loadings and useful in another 819 loadings...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has given me some amazing groups, and great speed in 8x57, the SD is very very low!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
redrider,
The 7-08AI is probably pretty close to the 284 Winchester. I don't take the Oehler 35 to the range as much as I'd like to, but the H-380 loads of 50.5gr with moly coated 140 Ballistic Tips and Federal 215M primers run between 2900-2925fps from my 22" 11 twist barrel. The non-moly 140gr BTs run 3030fps with 50.0gr of H-380. I could probably get a little more velocity with moly bullets, but I run out of powder capacity in the case. Not that it matters, the loads are very accurate and put at least 3 deer in the freezer every fall (that's all I can really consume).

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I love H 380. For 22 caliber centerfires it is very user friendly with those small neck openings.

It is fantastic in a 223 which is not thought of often.

What I love about in a 223 besides the ease of loading, with 28 grains in the case MV is within 100 fps spread when loading bullets as diverse in weight as 40 grains to 63 grains.

It is also my powder of choice in 223 with bullet weights in the 70 to 80 grain classes in my fast twist 223.

With the lack of velocity spread using different bullet weights if one shoots a lot of different bullets in their 223, they will not have to do a lot of scope adjustments for change in point of impact.

I LOVE that kind of flexibility. Proven pretty accurate in 308 and 57 mm cases for me. Also works well in minimal downloaded ammo in 270 and 30/06 ( 2500 to 2600 fps range) for me. I will also have a couple of pounds on hand.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot not quite a ton of it and have never used magnum primers. I use it for 22-250 loads. As posted, when you're gearing up for a P dog shoot, you can't be weighing charges. I THINK at one time it was used in commercially loaded 30-06 ammo.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used it a bit in my 308 and some other calibers but it makes and awfull muzzle blast and blows a huge ball of flame out the barrel..Try it at night or late evening...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have used it a bit in my 308 and some other calibers but it makes and awfull muzzle blast and blows a huge ball of flame out the barrel..Try it at night or late evening...

Yes, it ia very bad about that with my 20" 8x57.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe, I left out the round that I buy all of my H 380 for:

The 338/06! Gives the most accuracy and velocity of any powder I have tried, even over H 414 and W 760, with all bullet weights!

What was I thinkin?

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote