New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norma 204 or VV N160 Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just got my first new rifle powders. Does anyone have published loads from a reputable source (hopefully one that pressure tests their loads) for these two subject powders for the 6MM Remington, 280 Ackley Improved, and 375.H&H. I'm super conservative so don't much care about primer type or velocity, just bullet, powder charge and COL and to know is pressure tested. I'm just getting back into the reloading game after almost 20 years absence but this time do not want to fly by the seat of my pants. If you have a loading manual that has such loads for these calibers and powders I would be happy to send address and money by PM for a Xerox. I am looking hard at a chronograph. Thank you for your time my friends.

Don Boyd

Posts: 78 | Location: Hampton, VA | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, just out of interest, what made you decide on these two powders?? With all due respect for these powders (I use VV N160 quite a lot), they are not the easiest to find data for. In particular if you want to use the powders in calibers which are not the most widespread (.375 H&H being the exception). It would have seemed more natural first to see what you can find data for, and then purchase powders??

Anyway, for VV N160 loads, the Nosler Manual (6th edition) is not a bad place to start, although I doubt you'll find VV N160 to be the ideal powder for the calibers you mention - possible exception: 6mm Remington with certain bullet weights. N160 is going to be on the fast side for the .280 AI, and on the slow side for the .375 H&H... The Nosler manual has data for N160 in all calibers you are looking for - pressure tested or not??

The other data source for N160 is the VV/Lapua reloading manual - although, this is a European manual, so don't get your hopes up too high for calibers primarily used in the US (such as the 6mm Rem, or .280 AI). (Note: be careful when you work up towards Lapua supplied max loads, at times they can be on the "optimistic" side...)

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin...nalReloguide2009.pdf

Finally, data for Norma 204 may be difficult to find. Norma publishes data for its own powders (actually, Bofors manufactured), but again, it is rare that European manuals include calibers used almost exclusively in the US.

http://www.norma.cc/sortimentladd.asp?doc=Sort&Lang=2

If you have trouble locating data for the 204, you may have to resort to "equivalence" development using data for Alliant powders also manufactured by Bofors. If so, you'll be well outside the realm of pressure tested loads, however. That calls for restraint and experience as you work up towards max loads for your components and guns.

Good luck

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Thank you for your reply. I should have said I have VV Manual #1 and #4 and Nosler HB #6 so I have some data. As you pointed out, those books are missing the .280 Rem or AI. That's data I hope to find. I don't really think there's much difference between the 280 Rem and 280 AI as long as I have reliable data. Thanks again.

Posts: 78 | Location: Hampton, VA | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mike.

You could make do with what you've got but it won't be the best fit.

I use VNN-160 for .375H&H loads w/Hornady 300 gr. RN's and although a tad on the slow side for both burn & velocity (2360 fps) the acuracy is really something to write home about (read=superb) in my stubby (20") Winchester Model 70.

I don't load the 280 AI but rather a 7x64 Brenneke. Norma 204 & VVN-160; like Mike says are a bit quick for both these cartridges; you'll probably eak out about regular vanila-flavored 280 Remington velocities with them both. I use VVN-560 in 7x64 and it really makes an impression; both velocity & accuracy.

According to Quick Load both of your powders are like above; suitable but certainly not a perfect match for the 6mm Remington, either.

Have Fun.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The nosler home page show data for 6mm rem and 280ai with N160.

www.nosler.com

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My experience is that N160 is one flexible powder. I use it in .270 Win, 7x64, .30-06, .300 Win Mag & .338 Win Mag. Even in non-magnum calibers and depending more on the individual rifle , it pays to try both std. and magnum primers ; some rifles are insensitive (Sauer 202 in .30-06 is as accurate with WLR and CCI 250 primers) but the same rifle with its 7x64 barrel shoots better (smaller and rounder groups) with CCI 250 primers. I'm always on the lookout for and appreciate multi-purpose powders as they help reduce my (ever too large) powder inventory. 30 years ago, I was a fan of Norma powders (204 & 205) but their patchy and unreliable local availability made me abandon them completely. Nothing as frustrating than developing a great petload, only to find out you can't replenish powder...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mm remington

RP brass
WLR primer
90gr BT 10thou from lands (around 2.78 or so)
45.5gr N160 for 3,200fps

It was the only powder I tried and extremely accurate indeed. I thought it was too fast for the best velocity from 100gr bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks my Friend

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma 204 is in fact Alliant RL19 which is a very good powder for the 6 mm Remington, as mentioned here, for the .375 it is too slow, better look for a powder in the N140 range.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma 204 is a double based powder while N160 is a single based powder. I have been using N160 sine I started reloading in 1994. I have tried it in 243 Win, 6.5X55 Swed, 6.5Xs4MS, 280 Ackley, 7X64 & 7mm08.

I find it closer to H4350 than to Re19 in most applications with some significant exceptions. I also do not get max velocities with N160 but the SD & uniformity of velocity is exceptional. I have recently tried N560 and find it much better - it is a double based powder and it does exceptionally well in my 280 Ackley with 160 gr Accubonds - giving me around 3000 fps with safe loads. You can check the reloading forum for my loads.

Good luck.

Posts: 28 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 20 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
I have a Norwegian manual that lists 300 gn Partition, COL 91 mm, Rem cases and Rem 9 1/2 primers with following loads:

Norma 204 Start 77,0 gn Max 79,0 2577 - 2613 fps from a 24" barrel
VV 160 Start 78,0 gn Max 81,0 gn 2478 - 2537 fps from same 24" barrel

I have not tried these loads, I prefer Vihtavuori 150, Vihtavuori 550 and Norma 203b in my 375 H&H and I always use magnum primers.

I have some pages scanned from manuals for the 375 H&H, pm me your email and I'll send them to you.

Lars

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 900 SS, PM sent.