THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    powder that sticks to the inside of the neck...does it?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

powder that sticks to the inside of the neck...does it?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A thing that makes me go "hmmmmmmm."

Do you think it adversely effects accuracy when slight amounts of case lube on the inside of the case neck causes some of the powder, especially fine ball powders such as H355 to stick and not settle with the main column of powder? I assume the bullet pushes the bits of powder to the base of the neck and then when the bullet is horizontal in the chamber it becomes part of the powder column and burns completely...but maybe, especially with a boat tail bullet some of the powder gets pinched in the perimeter of the boat tail and doesn't burn evenly with the rest of the powder?

Roger

The two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
What happens is this case is nothing it all happens to fast.in the ignitition process. I tumble my after resizing so the lube is gone.But aboatail bullet and granular type powder could cause minute seating problems though.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3074 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tested this in various calibers and rifles. It doesn't effect diddly squat as far as I can tell. In my tests, average velocity has remained the same, as well as average group size. I decided some time ago that I had better things to worry about.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I've tested this in various calibers and rifles. It doesn't effect diddly squat as far as I can tell. In my tests, average velocity has remained the same, as well as average group size. I decided some time ago that I had better things to worry about.

Thank Goodness! I'll scratch that bit of anal retentiveness off my list...

The two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I always wipe the case mouth with a Q tip for a few cases, or tumble my cases after sizeing a batch to remove the lube. I don`t worry about the pinch of powder that sticks but have always worried the lube might cause neck tension to vary and affect the load. I don`t know if it does to any measurable degree but it`s easy enought to tumble for 5 minutes to prevent it.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
after sizing and/or nk turning etc, I take and soak them in a solution of 1 part white vinegar and 3 parts boiling water. Shake them around (I use tupperware with lid) a few times during soaking. I let them go for at least 1/2hr when in a hurry. The hotter the water, the better.

The vinegar will also eat away at any carbon residue in the necks or on the necks. They also slightly shine up a bit,..that's always nice.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW--I clean my case necks with a paper shop towel (damp) wrapped around an undersized nylon neck brush. The reason I like to clean the lube out is years ago I had some 1 yr old ammo that shot just fine when it was fresh. It showed signs of more pressure when it was 1 yr old. Somewhere along the line I put that ammo into my press to seat the bullets slightly deeper and found that the bullet had taken "a set" to the brass and it took surprising effort to "crack them loose" and seat them deeper. All I can figure is some (possible) chemical reaction between the brass and the bullet caused by the leaving of rcbs lube in the case neck. Maybe I'm goofy and something else actually took place with that ammo but in name of consistancy I now wipe the lube out. I probably wouldn't bother if I was loading tons of ammo for a dog hunt in the near future but for hunting ammo I think it's worth the probably 3-5 minutes to wipe out the necks of 20 rounds of ammo.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I use Imperial sizing die wax and don't have the problem. Generally I am not using an expander, just a neck sizing bushing. If I want to use an expander I use dry lube which generally is some form of Mica. MOST of the time you are not going to have a problem with a tiny bit of lube. If someone is careless and gets too much lube in the neck they face the remote chance of having the powder and lube form a plug of sorts in the neck or neck area and could theoretically risk high pressure problems.

I have processed some .223 Remington brass where I liberally lubed the inside of the necks with a water soluble lube from RCBS. For these I did chemically clean the cases and let them dry thoroughly. You are being careful and are curious if you may be causing a problem. I wish more reloaders did the same.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
i USE A MOP AND LPS CONTACT CLEANER
Wet the mop and swab the inside case neck the cleanerdrys and evaporates in seconds

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote