New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 TCM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any information about the 22 TCM cartridge and reloading of the same....also dies...

Posts: 99 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
First off the .22TCM is N O T a necked down 9mm. It is in fact a shortened .223 case.
for a pistol load it is fairly high pressure but is very safe in a 1911 barrel.
Recoil is very light. Like shooting a .22LR. The muzzle blast is impressive. Indoor shooting would prob get you punched in the face by other shooters near by.
I have two of these pistols and both shoot very well. The little 45-50 grain bullet I use really smoke down the range. My pistols will shoot dead flat out to 100 yards.
The round would be a very good small game or two legged bad guy stopper.
The cartridge is NOT the same as the 5.7FN cartridge.
The properly shaped bullet can be hard to find as it was not common even when it was new. The bullet is deep seated and MUST clear the 1911 type double stack magazine. I made my own crimp die as it is very easy to crush the neck crimping the bullet in. The crimp is extremely important for any accuracy.
You want to make a trap to catch your fired brass. They get kicked out a ways and can be hard to find if there is other brass on the ground.
I do reload for this cartridge and have found loads that work well in my pistols.
This is right from the guy who started it all:
Winchester 296 or H110 (same powder)
STARTING LOAD 9.0 grains
MAX LOAD 10.0 grains
Recommended Primer: Tula/Wolf Small Pistol Primers
( Tula Primers are Available from Powder Valley 1-800-227-4299, or you can use any Small Pistol or Small rifle Primers….. NO MAGNUM PRIMERS!!!)
The LEE 22TCM Die set is a three die set which includes a non-carbide sizer/decapper, Powder dropper die, and a Bullet seater/crimp die. The Powder dropper is designed to work with Lee progressive presses but can be altered to work with a manual dropper or with other progressive presses. You may want to purchase a universal expander die from Lee in order to flare the case mouth before bullet seating. Lee does not include this die in the standard set.
WARNING - The 22TCM is a very high pressure cartridge and should only be loaded by an experienced reloader. Failure to follow the given loading data could cause serious damage to your pistol and even you or a bystander. Never exceed the maximum load as indicated on this sheet. Understand that the Rock Island Armory TCM pistol is only warrantied with the use of Factory Ammo, and use of reloads can affect certain warranty related issues.
By purchasing reloading dies and components, the customer acknowledges the risks involved in reloading, and takes full responsibility for any issues that may arise from the use of 22 TCM handloads.
The internet "Know-it-All's killed this cartridge.That is a shame,it does offer a lot and it is not "like" the 5.7 or any other .22 HV pistol cartridge. It's close to the .22 JET,but in the 1911,not the revolver.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rapidrob.....thank you for the information on the 22TCM....I have been reloading for 55 years, and I current load for anything from a true .17 Remington up to and including the 458 Win Mag....to me the 22 TCM is a tamed 221 Fireball, of which I own 4 different ones....I usually build all my own guns and load for them as well.....I have permanant supply of 223 Military brass.....so brass is not a problem, but dies and litrature is not out there for one to just walk into the LGS and buy them off of the shelf....so the information you posted here will work for me and make a starting point....thank you.....jebb45

Posts: 99 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote