Find
Notify
Tools

120gr TSX in 7mmSTW
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted
Does anyone have any load data for the 7mmSTW using the 120gr TSX bullet and either H4831, RL22 or IMR7828? Any and all help appreciated.

"Learn to disagree without being disagreeable" - Ronald Reagan 1981

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My best bet is ANY 120 data from anyone will be useable if you start in the middle and work up. The regular barnes 120 might have made a little more pressure than say a ballistic tip but the tsx should make less. It was always my finding that the "light" for caliber barnes bullets were pretty much the same as other bullets but when you got into the mid and heavy for caliber bullets they were quite a bit longer and caution was needed in working up loads.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
I'm working up a 120 TSX load for my 7mm-08 using Nosler 120 BT data with no problems. If anything, the book max is a little light (or it could just be my gun).

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have you ever gone to the site called reloading
nest.com they have hundreds of loads for everything. you will find the stw there.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes Data:

IMR7828 Start: 77.0gr 3453fps, MAX: 82.0gr 3677fps
H4831 Start: 75.0gr 3373fps, MAX: 80.0gr 3598fps
RL22 Start: 76.0gr 3410fps, MAX: 81.0gr 3634fps

Frankly I'd use the 140gr XLC BT which can be driven to
3577fps with 85.0gr of RL-25 (MAX)
or
3548fps with 82.0gr of RL22 (MAX)

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, the loads I posted for the 120gr are for the X-bullet, not the TSX.

Barnes has not published loads for the TSX bullets yet.

I'm told that they include an abbreviated list of load data
in the box with the bullets, but since I haven't bought any TSX's I can't testify to the truth of this.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Old Dog
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses! I have Barnes' reloading manual. In the flyer included with the bullets, Barnes recommends using the data in the manual for X bullets of the same weight, but that the reduced bearing surface of the bullet may result in reduced pressure, requiring more powder to reach the maximum velocity. There is no loading data specifically for TSX bullets.

I am hoping to find a fellow AR poster who has used 120gr TSX bullets in his 7STW and can give me the benefit of his experience in loading using one of three powders that appear to have promise with this combination.

Jim

"Learn to disagree without being disagreeable" - Ronald Reagan 1981

Posts: 163 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote