New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new Reloader needs YOUR help!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please allow me to introduce myself. I am a self made gun nut who has recently taken up reloading in an attempt to improve the accuracy of my shooting. I'm not sure what type of shooter I should be classified as. I own and shoot several pistols, rifles and shotguns. That being said, my true passion is for shooting long distance rifle. Let me be clear in stating that I am a complete ameture. I compete only against myself, using standard off the shelf rifles and gear.
To begin my adventures in reloading, I purchased Hornady equipment. I have their classic press and their new dimension dies, scale and various other tools. To start with, I am learning to load the 22-250, as it flat shooting characteristics seemed appropriate to the distances and conditions that I shoot.
Unfortunatly, I lacked one very important piece to the reloading puzzle. I have no seasoned or expieranced re loaders that I can turn to when in need of advice or instruction. I did stumble across one fellows website and he was kind enough to answer some questions. After criticizing my rifle and telling me that the size of my groups that I was shooting "sucks" (exact quote)he refused to answer any additional mails. I am tempted to name this "gentleman" but will refrain from doing so at this time.
That same lack of someone to help answer questions or dispense with sage advice for a beginner is what has led me here. To put things very simply, I need help. I am attempting to learn the art and science of reloading from books and a system of trial and error. Statistically, if one tries enough ways of doing something, they should eventually find a way that works. In the meantime, a lot of time is wasted and unnecessary risks taken.
Due to the length of this post, it might be best if I started a separate discussion where I could ask some of the questions I have. Because of the number of questions I have and the space it would take to ask them and for you to answer them, it might be best if answers are directed to my personal e mail. I think the moderators and creators of this forum would rather I didn't clutter up their site with a bunch of questions.
I will warn anyone who is willing to help, that some of my questions are likely pretty basic. Probably some of the things I am having problems with are things that seasoned pros will think are silly. The only comment I can offer in defense is that you can never learn, if you dont ask.
I will go ahead and thank anyone who is inclined to help me with these issues. Any advice or suggestions you offer will be much appreciated. Also, I will mention my e mail address here and in the discussion with the questions. My personal e mail is:jbald1@yahoo.com . Any correspondence can, as I noted earlier, be directed there.
So thanks one more time, and keep an eye out for the discussion I start with all the annoying questions!

Sincerely, jaybald1@yahoo.com

Posts: 62 | Location: The mountains of east Kentucky | Registered: 21 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR! Secondly, you didn't ask a question.

We've all started somewhere and all of us have a different amount of seasoning and ways to do things. You'll get good advice once you start asking questions.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jaybald, first welcome to AR, and the shooting sports. There are no dumb questions, we all started somewhere, I learn new things every day and I started reloading in 82. That is half the fun, it seems the more you "think" you know the more questions you have.

What part of the country are you from? and what do you consider long ditance?

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybald1:
Please allow me to introduce myself. I am a self made gun nut who has recently taken up reloading in an attempt to improve the accuracy of my shooting. I'm not sure what type of shooter I should be classified as. I own and shoot several pistols, rifles and shotguns. That being said, my true passion is for shooting long distance rifle. Let me be clear in stating that I am a complete ameture. I compete only against myself, using standard off the shelf rifles and gear.
To begin my adventures in reloading, I purchased Hornady equipment. I have their classic press and their new dimension dies, scale and various other tools. To start with, I am learning to load the 22-250, as it flat shooting characteristics seemed appropriate to the distances and conditions that I shoot.
Unfortunatly, I lacked one very important piece to the reloading puzzle. I have no seasoned or expieranced re loaders that I can turn to when in need of advice or instruction. I did stumble across one fellows website and he was kind enough to answer some questions. After criticizing my rifle and telling me that the size of my groups that I was shooting "sucks" (exact quote)he refused to answer any additional mails. I am tempted to name this "gentleman" but will refrain from doing so at this time.
That same lack of someone to help answer questions or dispense with sage advice for a beginner is what has led me here. To put things very simply, I need help. I am attempting to learn the art and science of reloading from books and a system of trial and error. Statistically, if one tries enough ways of doing something, they should eventually find a way that works. In the meantime, a lot of time is wasted and unnecessary risks taken.
Due to the length of this post, it might be best if I started a separate discussion where I could ask some of the questions I have. Because of the number of questions I have and the space it would take to ask them and for you to answer them, it might be best if answers are directed to my personal e mail. I think the moderators and creators of this forum would rather I didn't clutter up their site with a bunch of questions.
I will warn anyone who is willing to help, that some of my questions are likely pretty basic. Probably some of the things I am having problems with are things that seasoned pros will think are silly. The only comment I can offer in defense is that you can never learn, if you dont ask.
I will go ahead and thank anyone who is inclined to help me with these issues. Any advice or suggestions you offer will be much appreciated. Also, I will mention my e mail address here and in the discussion with the questions. My personal e mail is:jbald1@yahoo.com . Any correspondence can, as I noted earlier, be directed there.
So thanks one more time, and keep an eye out for the discussion I start with all the annoying questions!

Holy wall of text Batman! Eeker

Sir, please investigate the use of double spaced paragraphs! Big Grin

Here is a good overview of reloading: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showt...-and-some-good-links

http://ammosmith.com/ammosmith-com-video-library.php

Get a feel for best practice, arm yourself with a few reloading manuals and ask away.

Regards,

GH

PS. Welcome to AR!

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybald1:

Was there a question in there somewhere? Confused

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR.

You will find there are many people on this board that are very knowledgeable and will be willing to help.

The advice you recieve may not all be on the same level. If you have questions answered differently make sure you have been clear in your Q&A before trying something. Specifics are important to quality answers. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR.

My suggestions based on the advise I got 17 years ago - Firstly buy the latest Lyman reloading manual and read the chapters up front. Then read it again. I did not worry about other manuals for at least 1 year of my reloading career. Even if I read other load data, I always cross referred with the Lyman manual and stuck to that. The Lyman manual is the only one with full pressure test data & so you know what to expect with the specific components being used.

Learn to understand pressure & how it can change and suddenly spike. this is the MOST critical part of reloading & will take a few yeras to get a good grip on it. There are many experienced reloaders who still do not understand the non-linear dynamics of pressure and end up with hot & dangerous loads. For example - if you already have a max load and try to add 1 grain of powder, you may get 10 fps extra velocity & 5,000 foot pounds more pressure that might blow your primer and lock your bolt.

Remember never to substitute components emtioned in the load data - case brand, bullt, powder etc. If you do want to try a new bullet of same weight - ALWAYS drop powder charge by 5% and work up.

Good luck and safe shooting.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so like Jaybald, I am new to reloading. In fact, i don't know sh*t about reloading even though i have been shooting for 20+ years. so my only question here will be this...Is the Lyman Manual the best place (in the collective opinion) to start with learning? I'll be starting my own thread. Thanks guys.

Death Smiles at us all, Navy Corpsman laugh back.
Raised in the Mountains of Colorado.

Posts: 51 | Location: Jacksonville, NC | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Do you know how to clean a rifle bore and recognize if a rifle shoots better "dirty" or how many shots since cleaning it takes to settle down?

Have a way to track your data/results as you progress. Realize that lots of guys believe they are smarter than the publishers of data.

Know the history of each caliber you load for, and that each rifle is completely individual. Bedding approaches also can have dramatic effect on results you get.

2 cents and get going there jay :-)

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
I'm new to reloading also, but so far it's been a great hobby. Welcome to the forum!

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the reason this forum exists is to discuss reloading.
which includes asking/answering questions.
you do have to read some books to gain an understanding of the basics,which is where the questions come from.
after the basics,then comes the nuances of reloading like seating length etc.
then gun knowledge follows [understanding why seating out works]
so ask one specific question per post and don't be afraid to start a few threads.

the lyman is a good book to start with, so is the abc's of reloading.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote