THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    m1903A1 30-06, 135gr Missouri Bullet Company Lead #2 Whitetail and Trail Boss

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

m1903A1 30-06, 135gr Missouri Bullet Company Lead #2 Whitetail and Trail Boss
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
These are experimental loads. I do not recommend that you try them, but if you're looking for data, here you go. If your rifle blows up, I'm not responsible.

I'm still looking for a very light load for my m1903a1 rifle (turns 90 years old next month) to use in a vintage military match, not wear out the barrel and light enough for kids to use. Blue Dot and a 110gr bullet worked ok, but there are some saying I'm going to blow myself up, so I started looking at Trail Boss.

Hodgdon has a load listed on their website http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp for a 150 grain jacketed bullet using a min of 13.3 grains for 1061 fps @ 14,700 psi to a max of 19.0 grains for 1477 fps @ 26,400psi.

I want to use lead, not jacketed bullets, so there would be very little barrel wear. The box from Missouri bullets has "Brinell 18, Optimized" on it. I cannot scratch the bullet with a finger nail. Not being a cast bullet maker, I think that's pretty hard so I don't think I'll have leading problems at the speeds I was experimenting with. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

There are several people a the match I attend that are shooting Trail Boss, Unique and Blue dot in 30-06s and K31 7.5x55 Swiss. One of the guys there who gave me his load is shooting 180gr bullet with 9.5gr of Trailboss. So 9.5gr is where I started with my load.

Today was very pleasant, approximately 68 degrees F, low humidity and an elevation of 1650 feet. I was using Korean brass (P8 headstamp), CCI large rifle primers, 135gr lead bullet and Trail Boss powder. I was not accuracy testing yet, that will be next Sunday and I'll add the results to this post - if the weather is decent. This was just to get a handle on the velocities. No case showed any signs of over or under pressure and unlike Blue Dot, the lowest charge weights did not have sooty necks. I don't know if that is typical of Trail Boss or not since this is the first time I've used it. Recoil was very light but I was shooting from a rest. In fact, I let my 12 year old shoot a couple and he asked "is that it?" about the recoil.

Here are the velocities in fps of the loads I tried. 3 rounds per charge weight.

9.5 grains : 1335, 1340, 1330
10.0 grains : 1366, 1362, 1365
11.0 grains : 1441, 1441, 1448
12.0 grains : 1506, 1501, 1502
13.0 grains : 1574, 1573, 1567

I do not want to get above 1500 fps to minimize leading, so my plan is to make my rounds at 11.7, 10.9 and 10.0 grains for accuracy testing. I may change that if people that know more about cast lead & brinell of 18 say that it won't lead until xxxx fps.

If anybody could kindly run a simulation in Quickload and let me know what it says, I would appreciate it.

Stay Safe
TD

edited for grammer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a BHN of 18, and a gas check and decent lube you can safely go over 1500fps without leading, provided the bore is smooth. It sounds like you're on the right track.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about without a gas check?
***edit
And can you even put a gas check on a bullet if the heel isn't tapered for it?

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well that sounds like a good day...

my son has made the same statement about recoil, on some of the loads I have had him shoot; " is that it????"expecting much much more...

a call to Hodgdon's tech line when I first got some Trail Boss was don't compress the loads.. beyond that.. I couldn't blow up any round with it...

I loaded up some in a 30/30 for a young lad two years ago.. with a 160 grain Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullet.. he got his first deer with it at 50 yds or so... hunting on family land with Dad..

Trail Boss is a very fun powder...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote