New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 antelope, deer & elk bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for suggestions for a one bullet load for my '06 that does a good job on all three. I have tried the 180 gn. nosler partition, but i didn't think it expanded rapidly enough on the small stuff. Lately I've been using 180 gn. core-lokts but I'm interested in seeing if there's something better.

Posts: 91 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
Try the 180 gr Hornady SP's.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I second the 180 Hornady suggestion and will add the Speer Deep Shock. Either one should do great.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I would consider sticking with the Nosler Partition but maybe scale down to the 165gr. It's flatter for those longer shots at pronghorns and deer, and should open up quicker than the 180.

The 165gr. should do just fine on even the larger elk.
Good luck [Wink]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wonder why one would insist he stick to one bullet weight or powder or whatever. Reloading is interesting, and gives the capability to use the best load for the game.

However, if you insist, I would use the 165 grain Barnes XLC if it shoots OK in your rifle. They shoot well in my .300 Wby.

But I would use two weights, the 150 gr such as Hornady or Speer or Sierra for deer and antelope, and the 165 gr or 180 gr Barnes X for elk.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I would use one of the premium bullets only because of the Elk. I like Failsafes, but would use whatever bullet is the most accurate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can get your hands on some 180gn PP Woodleigh`s your elk might as well give up...Les

Posts: 115 | Location: Vic Australia | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Have used the 06 on deer for twenty years using the 150 grain bullet. Since you intend to use the 06 for three different game species and use one weight bullet I would use the 150 grain. The antelope being thin skinned and very easy to bring down, thick jacketed heavy bullets tend to punch bullet sized holes in antelope. With well placed shots on Elk using the 150 grain bullet in the 06 you can get the job done. Broadside shots through the heart lung area with the .308 diameter bullet will harvest any Elk. Avoid frontal or rear end shots on Elk. The broadside behind the shoulder shot placement is always best on all game animals. The 30-06 is a very good cartridge for hunting many different game species and will do the job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
kalbrecht,

I used to use the 180 grain Nosler for Mule Deer and Elk and the Old Hornady 180 grain (pre interlok) for Pronghorn. The lightly constructed Hornady opened up plenty fast and the two bullets shared the same POI with the same load. Both were equaly accurate. Perhaps using the Nosler 180 Ballistic Tip for the Antelope would give you a similar set up.
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kalbrecht: I have been there and done that many years ago when - frankly - I could afford only one Rifle for all my Big Game Hunting. I settled on the WONDERFUL Nosler 165 gr. Partition in my 24" barreled pre-64 Model 70 in 30/06! With this bullet I also had great success on Mt. Goat, Black Bear and a Moose as well as numerous Antelope, Elk and 3 species of Deer! One bullet one set of trajectory figures to memorize and superb terminal performance all in a readily available bullet. Problem solved!
Good luck!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I like the 180gr NP in the 06. I load these in my son's rifle for deer/elk combo. For an all round bullet that might see the occasional elk, I am thinking of switching to the 165grNP. The higher vel. should give better exp. on smaller deer/antelope, but still drive deep enough for elk w/ a well placed shot. I would stay away from the 150gr unless elk were never an option.
One of the new 165gr bonded bullets from Hornady or Nosler or Swift may be another good choice. A friend of mine has shot antelope to moose w/ the "plain" old 180gr Rem. CL & has always had good results.

[ 04-05-2003, 23:47: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 180 and 200 gr. Nosler partitions for years in my 06, and never had a complaint with them...plus they do not ruin half a deer...they run a little sometimes, but leave a very respectable blood trail...

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
kalbretch,
I think you are attempting to make too big a strech for a single bullet weight. IMHO. If you are set on it, you may want too take a good look at the 165 grain and 180 grain Nosler Partition bullet. Both of these weights are on the heavy side for antelope. For deer, the 165 is ok but the 180 usually do not meet enough resistance to force the bullet to mushroom. On elk, the 165 is on the light side and the 180 grain is about as good as it gets. The 165 grain bullet is the best compromise of the three. IMHO. The new Hornady Interbond may also be worth a look. Good luck. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all your help. Lots of possibilities to consider. Thanks again.

Posts: 91 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried the Hornady 170gn flat-point interlock? I was thinking about using it for boar.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote