Find
Notify
Tools

New Brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Maximus
posted
Is is necessary to full length size new Winchester brass? I've heard it's necessary, but some say it's optional, what's the verdict on this? Thanks!

Beretta's Rule!

Posts: 94 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my take on it is that the companies try hard to make them all the same, but why take the chance? i would at least advise neck-sizing them, then trimming, chamfering etc. it may not be necessary, but it certainly doesn't hurt and would improve consistency of your loads.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I have only had one batch of .218 W-W brass need F/L resizing. I made the mistake of only loading it straight up and 15% would not chamber.

I now F/L resize all new brass. Even if it is only to get uniform neck tension and external dimensions before the first fireing.

I even do this with Lapua brass and it is amongst the best brass available.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I neck size EVERYTHING for my bolt rifles. If you neck size the first firing is meaningless and just load 'em up. If you are FL sizing after each firing then preping the new brass is the thing to do.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornA lot of it depends on what condition the brass is in when it arrives. Some is great some is sad. BOOMroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JMO ; I resize FL ALL NEW brass in whatever caliber first time . Chamber all cases then

Load and fire . I then mark cases per Rifle it was used in . I then TTL neck size and turn necks

Then neck size from then on .

What once were vices are now habits / or something like that . archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Full Size them and you will never have to worry.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
IMO, It is impossible to FL size new cases. stir

The new case bodies are so small that the FL die should not contact and resize the case body. The new case shoulder is so far back that a FL die set to full length resize according to the instructions will not come close to pushing the shoulder back and you would not want to push the shoulder back further and increase headspace. You can however resize the entire case neck with a FL die set to full length resize.

So

• You're not sizing the case body
  • You're not pushing the shoulder back
  • You are sizing the neck

Sounds like neck sizing to me.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The key is consistency. Case weight and length are important check points. You will have to expand the case mouth for bullet seating. Full length sizing puts all cases on a consistent beginning.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Full length sizing puts all cases on a consistent beginning.

yankeesnicely put beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of my new brass goes through a full length resizing die before I do anything else with it. It CAN help, and it CAN'T hurt.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I do to new brass is flash hole deburr and uniform the primer pocket. load them light and seat the bullets to touch the rifling (if I can) you are only fire forming cases the first time. The down side to not sizing first is you will scrape up your bullets when seatting them, but again the first time your only fire forming your cases.

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
A good tip is to de-burr the flash hole.....

For one reason there are big burrs in there

For the last reason I have found just two in my life with NO flash hole but I found them because I was de-burring them.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If no one ever made mistakes, I'd just load the new brass up. It's easier to just run them through the FL sizer than it is to measure everything.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
The necks are where the uniformity varies on at least Rem and Win Brass...

I support at least using a Lee Neck Sizing Collet die on them when neck...

and I also camfer them before reloading them..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote