Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes 85 gr. X in .243
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted
I am getting the 85 XLC to use in my .243 and was wondering what powder to start with. I am thinking Varget or RL15 maybe. Has anyone ever used this bullet in the .243? Which powder did you use?

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
WyoJoe,

I haven't loaded that particular bullet but, I know a guy who gets his best loads w/ that bullet atop of R22.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with RL 15, IMR 4064 and 4895.

However not a powder I usually use in 6mm or 243 is IMR 4350 even tho I know it is real popular. However with the Barnes 85 grain XLC bullets, it gave me the best accuracy and high velocity if that is your bag.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

WyoJoe,

While I've not used the Barnes bullet, I've shot a lot of Nosler 85 gr Partitions. I have quite a few 243's. H-414 is my favorite powder for the best combination of speed and accuracy in most of my rifles. I've done a bit of chronograph testing to back that up. Sometimes H414 needs a magnum primer for the best accuracy.

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WyoJoe,
I have been using the 85 XLC's since they came out in my Rem 6mm. I had previously been using the 95 gr. X.

I shot 6 deer ( Va. ) last yr. with the 85 gr. XLC. I use to use H-4831, for the 95, & 85 , but 2 yrs ago swithched to R-19 for the 85 gr. XLC's. It is real accurate in my custom #1, barrel is 21 1/2 inches.

I really have had excellent results with the Barnes X's. I have shot a pile of deer with X's from 30 yds. to 322 yds ( Leica range measured) & usually one shot is all that's needed. Va. deer where I hunt usually go about 130 to 160 lbs.-not dressed.

I bought 5 boxes of 85 gr. TSX, so this yr. I am going to use them, to see if any difference.

A few yrs. ago I shot 4 deer with Nosler 95 gr. BT, & 4 with Barnes 95 X to see if any difference. Reinforced me again to only use Barnes X's. I have used the Nosler partition's, & Hornady also, but keep gravating back to Barnes X's.

Posts: 182 | Location: Va. | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I've shot a lot of Nosler 85 gr Partitions. I have quite a few 243's. H-414 is my favorite powder for the best combination of speed and accuracy ...Sometimes H414 needs a magnum primer for the best accuracy. ...

Hey WyoJoe, It seems Knobmtn and I must do a good many things alike and thus our observations are quite similar. I also like H414 in my 243Wins for 85, 90, 95 and 100gr bullets. If you have any H450(now discontinued) or know of some setting on a Gun Shop shelf, it was my pick before H414.

If you go lighter to 75gr, then I have fine performance with H380.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote