New
Find
Notify
Tools

OCW WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
er.... Wait.... I mean Holy crap take a look at this load! These are targets from my .338WM I shot the other day. The first one is Imr-4831 @ 67.8, Fed 215, Hornady 250, and NEW WW cases. The bottem two loads are: R22 @ 77.1, Fed210, Hornady 225gr and WW cases. I have no idea why there was the flyer to the right in the middle load. Everything was looking good, then bam, a flyer.

-

-

-

Turok

[ 04-30-2003, 04:09: Message edited by: Turok ]

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Are you using wind flags?

In BR shooting, those are called "weather reports". Occur when a shooter misses a wind change. Wind will move a Boeing 747, so it will certainly move bullets, regardless of weight or velocity.

BR shooters long ago found that trying to test loads without wind flags is a waste of time, components, and barrels.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Turok It`s your target, you got to up the stakes a bit. Put a loonie up there and I bet ya hit it every time [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Damn fine shooting
What rifle? small pic of Chretien might help

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand if these loads were OCW or Ladder technique developed or not?

[ 04-30-2003, 01:50: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They were shot with a 338WM, 24" Douglas Premium stainless fluted bbl, Shilen Hunting trigger set to 2 1/2 lbs, and topped with a Leupold 6X scope.

This is the end result of using the OCW method as outlined by Dan. I had worked up the load, then tuned the seating depth until I got the targets you see above.

There was a slight wind, but do you think that that could have cased the problem at 100 yards?

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What happened to the pics?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering that myself Nebraska. I went to the account and they are still there, but for some reason, they aren't showing up here anymore.

Turok

one of us
posted Hide Post
The wind does not move .338 magnum bullets very much at 100 yds.

Maybe it was a bad bullet, maybe a bug flew into it. I don't know.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Is there a thread describing the OCW method? I guess I missed it???

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a pretty heated debate over OCW. The best thing to do is go to: http://home.earthlink.net/~dannewberry/index.html and read about the method for yourself. If you have any questions, Dan has been kind enough to put in lots of time answering them.

Turok