New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning procedure for moly coated bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have heard many different ways how to clean a barrel when shooting moly bullets.
Some use only kroil and usp/jb bore paste and others use only shooters choice.
Many warn against using sweet�s.
Some advice whould be welcome.
Thanks.

Posts: 35 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trg:
I have followed the Kroil and JB's routine for my rifles that I shoot mollied bullets in. This is for fine match barrels. Rough "factory" barrels will coper foul too much, you will need an agressive copper cleaner or better yet firelap the barrel.
Just my 2 cents worth.
muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Goop hand cleaner to remove the moly from my barrel. Never will it be a problem again.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I have a few match barrels that have never seen a brush or a bare bullet. I differ slightly in that I use Shooters Choice (or GM Top Engine Cleaner) most often, JB'ing only every 100 rounds or more. Seems to work fine.

One nicety I've found with moly in rough factory barrels is that yes, they still copper foul a little but the fouling doesn't seem to ever affect accuracy. I discovered this in a rough Rem VS .22-250 barrel that I used to have to clean every 15 - 20 shots. With moly, it shoots better after 150 shots (and clogged with crap) than it ever did before moly. Weird. Took a bunch of JB to remove all that crud that time!

Just what works for my lazy ass...

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GOOP? Does it work on moly as good as it does on your hands??

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you pay close attention, you'll begin to see that alot (not all) of the people who have problems with moly also clean with a copper solvent.
JB & Kroil are all you need. I use 3 Kroil patches after an 80 shot match and use the JB when I feel like it.