THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How do break open rifles handle pressure incidents?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do break open rifles handle pressure incidents?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm likely to be purchasing a Blaser K95 in 6.5x57R [Smile] At some point I'm likely to be reloading for it. Todd's accident got me wondering how doubles and break open rifles in general handle pressure excursions/incidents.

What happens with a pierced primer?

What happens with a case seperation?

6.5x57R is hardly a high pressure number and I'm a cautious sole but I am curious esp as these little gems come in mag ie 65kpsi chamberings.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
IME, I've shot some Ruger No. 1s, the TC Contender, Savage and H&R break opens.

Never an incident in the No. 1s. In the TC I've had one case split and a case head separation, neither of which were handloads. No ill effects noted. I believe that these were "merely" brass failures not symptoms of excessive pressure. In the Savage .22 Hornet (a buddy's) we had a "loose primer". That is the primer fell out when we extracted the case. No ill effects noted. (BTW, that was the only case exhibiting that behavior in the whole lot). In the H&R, we did have a pierced primer. This was a .30-30 and a handload with 150 grain bullets. Knowing the load, I would now estimate a pressure in excess of 60,000 psi (I had no idea at the time, almost 35 years ago). No ill effects noted.

It seems to me that when you have a case failure the gas goes someplace but usually out the bore. However, sometimes the gun has a catastropic failure as well and that is an entirely different thing. The cause most often seems to be a bore obstruction. Nothing seems to stop that! I've even seen a .50 cal. muzzleloader with "only" a 60 gr. charge of Pyrodex let go due to a bore obstruction. The other big deal is to use a very undersized case in a chamber where it will still fire.

I realize you know all this, but I'm restating to illustrate why I believe that despite all the hoopla about how the Mauser system safely diverts gas in the event of a case failure, you are really not that much at risk in the breakopen SS actions. If you follow proper safety precautions (and you strike me as a fellow who does) you should never have any problem.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The K95 has a "locking block" that locks the action/barrel at the rear/top of the barrel assembly, is supposed to be as strong as a bolt action. I had an incident with very hot loads in my K95/7rm due to overly thick necks and over-diameter bullet (.286 in stead of .284). The load pushed a 154 gr bullet over 1000ms. The action was a little hard to open but nothing bad happened, the gun is still rock tight and the ekstraktor lifted the empty case without problems. Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to agree with Tron about the Blaser break-top rifles. The K95 (and before that, the K77/K770) have this fantastic locking system, which makes them a ton stronger than other break-top rifles. Witness the calibers the Blasers are chambered for (Magnums, .270 Win etc) - and compare to the cartridges offered in other break-top rifles with "lesser" locking systems. So far, so good.

Although you can probably figure your K95 (K77) is in some ways comparable in strength to a bolt action rifle, in neither is it a good idea to load in excess of max pressures. You run a grave risk to your life - and to a nice gun to boot. I expect I'm preaching to the quire here.

I have never experienced an "over max" pressure situation in my K770, which caused problems with opening the rifle. However, it is also clear that due to its design, the extraction parts in a break-top rifle should probably be treated with more respect than those of a bolt gun. In particular, a K95 (or a R93 - for that matter) has no primary extraction via the bolt handle. So extraction is a "weakness" in guns designed like this. One of the consequences of the extraction system of a break-top gun is also the advantage of using a rimmed cartridge (as you are intending). They are usually loaded to slightly lower pressures, anyway.

Likewise, I don't think there is any doubt that a bolt gun has the advantage in terms of safety when it comes to pierced primers or (God forbid) catastrophic case failures. There is simply a bunch more space between your face and the chamber, and a bolt action offers more places for the gas to escape.

That said, I have not found the limitations of a Blaser break-top rifle hard to live with. Live within the boundaries of the design of your rifle and be happy. In reality 1-200 fps more makes zero difference in the field, but reliable operation is everything.

While I'm in here, I can't resist making a case for trying to find a used K77/K770 rifle instead of the K95. If you have tried the triggers of both, you'll know why I say this. In the K77/K770 it is (IMHO) also important *not* to get the lightweight or "Allweather" versions - too light for my taste. If I was to get a K95, I'd see whether I could not get a slightly heavier barrel contour than the standard. Maybe it is just me, but a heavier rifle is easier to shoot than a lighter one. How heavy?? Depends on the individual shooter, but I have never suscribed to the "ultra light" wave of rifles, which have been all the craze in the States the last 10 years or so.

One K95 which is sweet beyond compare, though, is the fully stocked version. Would I ever love one of those babies - "poor" trigger or not [Smile] . Kind'a pricey, though...

Finally, I know cartridge selection is a touchy subject. A bunch of people shoot the 6.5x57(R) and seem happy with the cartridge. However, the cartridge is also known for problems with a very long freebore (see RWS reloading manual). At least with reloading and with a single shot rifle you stand a better chance of loading your bullets out to compensate for the freebore. Just be aware of a potential problem. Thought I'd mention it - just in case [Smile]

Enjoy your (future) Blaser

- mike

[ 01-16-2003, 21:52: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want the crap scared out of you sit at the bench and cycle a browning BLR. Theres about 8" of bolt and "Lever rack" that point right below your eyeball as you nuzzle into the scope. It would make one hell of a missle if it came apart. Anyone ever hear of one of these failing??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
1894--

How a topbreak action reacts is determined by how the firing pin is mounted. If it's like a cheap SS shotgun the firing pin blows out the back and recocks the hammer and possibly blinds you. If the firing pin is bushed from the front there will be a little leakage but no solids.

It's rare, but not unheard of, for an action to come open on firing and blow the case and primer out the back. (I'm working such a case now). When that happens you usually have some serious injuries.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd stay away from the HR break-open rifles, my shooting partner got one in 25/06, it handled factory ammo just fine but every reloaded round that was even approaching max would open it up like he hit the release mechanism when fired. I've seen it happen to two other HR's at the range also. [Eek!]

[ 01-16-2003, 23:45: Message edited by: Marsh Mule ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote