Notify
Tools

Fast Poll to crimp rifle cratridges Pro/Con
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted
Hi All,

I just wonder if you do like me in crimping rifle cartridges whatever is the caliber.

I crimp 30/30, .308, .444 and .450 Ackley mag. I'll crimp my new caliber 7X64, .300 Win mag, 9.3X62.

I have good accuracy with my loads in crimping all my rifle cartridges.

Thanks for you input.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I crimp in my 416 Rem, but not for 30-06 and 308.

If the bullets in the cartridges in the magfazine stay in place under recoil then I don't feel crimping is necessary.

Don

<OttoDude>
posted
Ditto Don G: 375H&H yes, 308 no. I crimp all pistol & revolver cartridges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not crimp any rifle cartridges but would consider it if I had a gun with a tubular magazine.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
I set my neck tension on .223 Ackley Improved at 0.002" with the sizing mandrels.

Crimping will create imbalance in release of the bullet, and work hardens the neck which leads to splits.

I'd crimp in a tubular mag like 30-30 Win. but that's a different sort of ammo application than what I'm loading with the .223 AI.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

one of us
posted Hide Post
I crimp big bores and rounds for tub fed guns ( 30-30 et. al.) only.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I recommend NEVER CRIMP A ROUND, unless it is for a heavy-recoil round or for a tubular magazine BECAUSE YOU WANT TO DELIVER YOUR BULLET INTO THE AIR IN AS PRISTINE A CONDITION AS POSSIBLE for accuracy. Anything that can potentially change its ballistic properties should be avoided, and this includes crimping!! I once conducted an experiment to determine just how necessary crimping is, by loading some .450 Alaskan ammo without a crimp, firing it to see what happened. Instead of crimping, I removed the expander button, and belled the mouths of the cases with a .45 ACP expander (.449"), then used the friction-tight fit of the bullet in the case neck to hold it against recoil, uncrimped. These rounds used 405-grain jacketed bullets and 64 grains of IMR 4064. They were loaded into the magazine (M71 Win.) and fired. The last round in the magazine was saved to see if the bullets had moved after four rounds were fired. The bullets remained EXACTLY as loaded without any kind of crimp at all. These were fired in a 7.5lb. rifle with recoil so severe that the Lyman receiver sight had to be exopy-cemented onto the rifle to keep it from flying off after every 5 rounds!!

------------------
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My votes pretty much with the Don't Crimp crowd. Mostly it's a big waste of time and probably detracts from accuracy. I've loaded even 30/30 with and without...no difference. If you have a problem, then I would worry about it...otherwise, forget it.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote