Find
Notify
Tools

35 WHELEN load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted
First say thanks to you fella's for the help. I asked about loads on this cartridge and got it. I just started reloading again and boy did it pay off. The throat on my rifle(remington cdl) measured 3.505" so I started out at an OAL of 3.455 and 56gr. of RE15 and worked up to 59 gr. of RE15 groups were at 1 1/4" so i moved the OAL to 3.465". I started at 56 gr. again and went up to 60 gr. this time. This time I am really happy, groups came in at 3/4". Bullets were 225 gr. barnes xxx shocks. Primers win. large rifle and brass rem. once fired in my rifle (factory loads). No pressure signs so I may go up a 1/2 gr. at a time to get more velocity if my groups don't fall apart. Thanks again.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
225 gr balistic tips work well also with rl-15.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
I'll second STNGER's comment on the 225 Nosler BT. They are the most consistently accurate bullet in my two 35 Whelens. Also, they are fairly tough when compared to BT of smaller calibers. I shoot a lot of them for practice.

If you are like me, you have now found your do everything load and there will be no need to look further for a better hunting load. Anything short of buffalo is game for your load.
I am recieving the same accuracy with my rifles and the 225 gr TSX.

I sight in 2.5" at 100 yards, this put me dead on at 225 yards and 10" low at 300 yards. That as far as I care to shoot anyway.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Thanks fella's I'll give them a try. I was really suprised how easy this load came in. Also didn't expect accuracy out of this size caliber as I got. One heck of a combo and I've heard it kills like lightning. I'm really impressed with the rifle too. Remington done a good job controling the kick on these rifles it's a pussycat to shoot. I think it is in the stock design that it's done. BCSteve has done a penetration test also you guys need to check it out. Barnes hit a home run with this bullet I believe. Can't wait to try all this out on an elk. "Straight shootin to ya"

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raybass:
First say thanks to you fella's for the help. I asked about loads on this cartridge and got it. I just started reloading again and boy did it pay off. The throat on my rifle(remington cdl) measured 3.505" so I started out at an OAL of 3.455 and 56gr. of RE15 and worked up to 59 gr. of RE15 groups were at 1 1/4" so i moved the OAL to 3.465". I started at 56 gr. again and went up to 60 gr. this time. This time I am really happy, groups came in at 3/4". Bullets were 225 gr. barnes xxx shocks. Primers win. large rifle and brass rem. once fired in my rifle (factory loads). No pressure signs so I may go up a 1/2 gr. at a time to get more velocity if my groups don't fall apart. Thanks again.

you will find loading the whelen with rl-15 you can keep pouring rl-15 in but you will reach what is called a breakover point. this happen when you reach full charges of powder but the velocity does not increase and sometimes lessens. mine happened at 60.5 grs.

but my gun is different than yours so watch your chronograph as you load.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote