THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Any tips on loading for a bolt rifle in 7.62x39?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any tips on loading for a bolt rifle in 7.62x39?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I have a Mini Mauser bolt action rifle in 7.62x39. Bought it to eventually make it a project rifle but it shoots cheap steel case Wolf ammo into 2" groups with a 2-7 scope on it. I thought that showed promise.
I loaded up some 125 grain Sierra's and 28 grains of TAC in Remington brass and WW primers but the load seems very soft (mild) and 5" groups.
I was wondering if there is any magic that the 7.62x39 usually responds to before I really start working up a load from scratch.
So far I haven't found TAC to be the most accurate powder in anything yet however I don't have a lot of experience with it.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I bought a Mini Mauser X years back and had similar issues to yours. It would shoot Euro surplus ammo OK but my initial reloads - not so much. The issue I discovered was the bore dia. Do check yours, mine measured out at a full .311". Once I found that the Sierra 125g SP measured a full .311' where as some manufactures split the difference and run their 125's about .3095" or less, everything changed. Lee offers their dies with both a .308" & .311" expander which was a big help.

Long story short, loaded up the Sierras with AA680, 4227 and achieved markedly improved accuracy.

I also found the bedding in the lug area very poor, a little Brownell's Accu-Glass solved that.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't have my book in front of me but H-322 has worked well for my son's rifle.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned one of the Zastava Mini Mark X's in 7.62x39 and despite my best and most sincere efforts couldn't get any bullet of any weight or diameter, factory or handloaded, to shoot inside of 4". After failing with every trick I've learned in 50 years of shooting I gave up and sent it on to another more optimistic owner.

By the way, I have a custom .221 Fireball on the MMX action and it is as accurate a rifle as I've ever owned.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Update!
Well I've tried everything I can with 125 grain .308 diameter bullets, 2 different powders, 8 different charge weights of powder, 3 different primers, 2 scopes, crimping and not crimping and I free floated the barrel. Groups are 4" +.

I will now try this all over again with .311 .310 diameter bullets.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good time to buy a bullet mold and start castingSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
How fast can you push cast bullets?
I don't know the first thing about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use a gas checked mould, cast from pure linotype, use the correct lube, and size the projectiles to your bore, 2400-2500 fps is very doable with cast.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
That will be fine for a 125 or 150 grain 7.62x39,
it ain't no 30/30!

I "may" give cast a try after I try cup and core .310,.311's.
Thanks guys.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Have a look at our Reloading Pages

There is some data we developed in a custom rifle we built for this cartridge.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed.
I'm assuming you guys were shooting .308 diameter bullets.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Thanks Saeed.
I'm assuming you guys were shooting .308 diameter bullets.

Yes, as our barrel was .308.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote