THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Developing a .404 Jeff Cast Bullet Plinking / Practice Load

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Developing a .404 Jeff Cast Bullet Plinking / Practice Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks,

I’m currently looking at ways of developing a low cost plinking load for my .404 Jeffery.

This probably means going with cast bullets. Unfortunately the chances of me ever having a location to cast my own are rather slim so it looks like resizing bullets is the way forward.

My current plan is to resize .430 commercially available cast lead bullets down to .424 and start with this 300gr which I have 100 on order:

I use .44 cal bullets from this maker for my 44 Mag lever action in 240gr RNFP and 255gr SWCGC with some decent success.

Anyway, I managed to get a .427” and a .424” for sizing down the .430” as cast bullets and I try with the 240gr and 255gr bullets. Sample of 1 so don’t so more experimentation needed but so far signs are good. These are 2 stage resized bullets:

Both seem to have some lube left, something of a crimping groove and lengthened a bit over 0.2mm (0.008”) so that bodes well (I think though I would welcome comments).

Next stage / decisions are:

1) decide whether to give a bit of extra lube with Liquid Alox or go the whole hog and try and home powder coat
2) See if the it is possible to get a gas check onto that 300gr Shell House Bullet

Powder is likely to be Reload Swiss RS14 which is a substitute for Trail Boss.

Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have not tried it with cast bullets.

But, you might like to try Tungsten spray as a lubricant.

I use that on my home made copper bullets and it works very well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I shall bear it in mind.

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have fired many cast bullets from large bore rifles. As in, thousands. Best ones have multiple grease grooves, and are best lubed with soft lubricant; not the hard pistol type. As in, SPG lube, or beeswax and lard.
I use a hard card wad under the bullet. This is for black powder cartridge, although 5744 works well too. As does most any medium burning powder.
My opinion is, that the one groove pistol bullets will not work very well. Disclaimer; I have not done it.
Oh, use soft bullets; 1 in 20 or so.
Hard bullets intended for pistols will not obturate, and will lead the bore; I know, it's counterintuitive. True, nonetheless.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about un-lubed, size to .423, powder coat then size one last time. For cheap-ish bullets, I size jacketed 44 mag bullets to .423

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you slugged your rifle's bore?

My granddad's .404 (a post WWI Oberndorf Mauser) slugged .429"
I tried 200gr Flat-nose bullets intended for the .44-40. They worked reasonably well but not spectacularly so.
I also tried 400gr .45 bullets swaged down to .430, they worked very well indeed, but the swaging process was pretty complicated.

Posts: 496 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I,m shooting 600gr cast bullets over a load of Trailboss and or IMR5744 in my 505 Gibbs. Found the Cast bullets online

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
I,m shooting 600gr cast bullets over a load of Trailboss and or IMR5744 in my 505 Gibbs. Found the Cast bullets online

I'd love to find a commercial caster here in the UK. Problem is they just aren't that many and they tend to concentrate on pistol cals for lever actions and things like .303 / 8mm for the historical shooters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sized a lee .430 300gr 315gr. WFN down to 416 to shoot in my .416 Taylor.

With it's 25 inch barrel pushing them at 950fps.

They are very quite and will place them into a ragged one hole group at 50 yards.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The size of your bore plus .002” cast bullet 10-15ish bhn with multiple lube grooves well lubed or same size powder coated should work.
So oversized of Your bore and soft to not hard greased or painted.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fury,

I have a .424 sizer which is 0.002 over nominal bore but haven't checked mine.

Lee also see to have .425 and .426 currently so might pick those up for "tuning" options.

Scrummy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

They are very quite and will place them into a ragged one hole group at 50 yards.

Interesting. How many stages did you go through with that?

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Administrator
posted Hide Post
In my tests, + or - 3 thou makes absolutely no difference in in velocity.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrumbag:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Interesting. How many stages did you go through with that?

Best wishes,

Scrummy

One.

I used a Lee push through sizer that I polished out until I got the bullets to measure .416

If I would do another batch I would add another step about half way in-between.

.430 to .423 or .424 should be easy with a good press.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers.

I have a .427 Sizer as well so that should work OK

Scrummy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a .427 Sizer as well so that should work OK

I see no need.

But if your press is on the weak side use it.

After sizing I would but another coat of Alox lube on them.

Powder coating would allow you to drive them faster also.