Find
Notify
Tools

7x64 from 280 brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I have a bunch of 280 brass, can I convert it to 7x64 by simply running it through a full length 7x64 die? Does the 7x64 have the same 473 head diameter?

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't believe it would be that simple. Check on Steve's page and see the dimensions.

http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, in Ken Howell's book "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges" he states that you may use .25-06 or .270 Win. Brass, fireforming with inert filler, OR you may FL size .35 Whelen Brass in a Brenneke die. There are dimensional differences that may make using the .280 brass that you have problematic. This relates to headspace issues I think. There is a very small dimensional difference spec'd on the two cartridges for the rim diameter, the Brenneke being .471 IIRC, and it is of no importance.

PMC has ammo for the Brenneke, a 170 gr. Semi-spitzer load that has proven quite accurate in two guns that I've handled. Their brass is of excellent quality in that particular cartridge, find some if you can.

As to using the .280 brass, and mind you this is speculation on my part, I believe the Brenneke case is a bit longer and of smaller diameter at the shoulder datum. This being the case your .280 brass may or may not chamber. If not, try sizing in a Brenneke FL die so it will chamber. Next step is to load your fire form loads with a bullet that will engage the rifling and thus adequately headspace the case for firing.

I HAVE NOT DONE THIS WITH THE CARTRIDGE OR COMPONENTS YOU HAVE, AND TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS IF YOU DO. IT IS HOWEVER AN APPROACH USED IN MANY SIMILAR CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE A CASE WILL NOT HEADSPACE OTHERWISE.

Best of luck with the endeavor, it is a dandy cartridge.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Natchez sells the S&B Brenneke ammo for less than $11 a box, boxer primed....they're out now, but shouldn't be for long....

http://natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=productDetail&a...793&CFTOKEN=38048557

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7x64 is .020 shorter than the 280, needs to be trimmed. The base is .466 I have some domestic 280 brass by Rem that measurers .464 at the base.

That would be no trouble. Sizing the base down several thou could be troube if you brass is expanded past the 7x64 chamber. Trim, size and and set the shoulder back no trouble either with the sloping shoulder and reducing the shoulder diameter should be easy then fire form.

If the base is not too far off I make use of the 280 cases. Reducing the base could be a problem. You would need a special base collet die.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing. It is easy. Just like you said run them through 7X64 Brenneke FL die and then trim to lenght. See if they chamber easily. You may want to fireform but I didn't do it as I was running low on primers. I loaded some mild loads using 150 gr bullets while sighting in the scope and now I can increase the charge for it.

Posts: 77 | Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried this very thing a year ago. I used some Rem brass, FL sized them and set the shoulder headspace in a 7x64mm chamber gauge that was given to me, then I trimmed to length. Everything worked great, until I slid a case into the chamber. It was sticky, due to my rifle having a minimum cut chamber. The formed case base area was tight up against the base are of the chamber. Note the the 7x64mm base is a tad bit smaller than the .280 Rem. Had I used minimum spec dies it would have worked.

Cheers,

Rich

one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Huntington's also stocks Norma & RWS cases in 7x64: http://www.huntingtons.com/cases.html

S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help!

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote