THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot in TC 45 Colt VERY position dependant.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I'm looking for a HOT load for my TC Carbine in 45 Colt using the 185 gr Gold Dot (for utter coyote destruction at short range), so I pick out 3 Blue Dot loads out of the latest Lyman manual. The first 2 loads averaged around 1150 fps (kinda slow). I shot the 3rd load, had a couple 1200 fps velocities and wondered what would happen if I tipped the gun UP before I fired. 1623 fps! Would a 1 or 2 gr wad of dacron or cotton on top of the primer be in order to keep the powder down on the primer??

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Interesting result. Why not just go to H110 or W296 for amx. effort loads? Both fill the case better.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue dot being faster than either H-110 or W296 can move away from the primer.

I'd strongly resist using any kind of filler.

More of a slower propellant will give more consistant ignition
and likely even more velocity.

Much as I like Blue Dot for heavy 45ACP and 10mm Auto loads it wouldn't be my first choice for a carbine load for 45LC

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Well, as I don't have either W296 or H110, are there any other possibilities? I had a bad experience with 296 and uncrimped bullets....the bullets I'm using don't have cannelures.
I have Lyman 47, 48, nosler 4th, and Speer 13th ed. manuals.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I'm all set. I tried Unique...it worked perfectly for my purposes. I chrono'ed 12.7 grs at 1530 fps this morning and the rounds didn't care where the powder was in the case.

Charles Bronson