Find
Notify
Tools

308 Win, AR10, primers falling out
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
This is a new experience for me. After the 4th or 5th reloading this lot of brass, the primers just fell out.
This AR10, is the only 308 I have, the brass is Federal match brass, the primers are Winchester, the powder is IMR 4064, the bullet is a 168 grain FMJ BT. The powder charge was 41.5 grains, very conservative by Sierra's manual.
Is this standard for ammo being used in a semi auto? Most odd with my other bottle necked cases the neck split first.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The brass held up pretty well in my AR-10T, but in my AR-10A4 the chamber is more generous. Those I only run through the gun for 4 firing cycles, then pitch. I never tried to get more than 4 cycles out of my M1A. For plinking these days I usually find some milsurp Berdan primed stuff by the case and leave it at the range.
Some of the really old bastards on this forum can render a more informed (i.e. much more experienced) opinion than I, but I believe the brass just goes through a much wider range of dimensions during its firing-resizing cycles in most semi-automatic rifles.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a .308 semiauto but in my 5.56 AR's the Federal brass is bad about dropping primers with loads that worked just fine in Lake City or Winchester brass. I do use Federal .308 in my bolt guns and it seems softer than other brands.

But I get the best accuracy from loads using Federal brass, so I just use it three or four times and then pitch it.

I'd try using a different brand of brass in your AR-10 to see what happens.

hth

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote