Notify
Tools

FACTORY LOAD INFO
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
I just picked up a Chapuis double rifle in 9.3 x 74 r

It shoots the factory Hornady 286 grain load beautifully.

I plan to replicate this load with the Hornady bullet and try it with other bullets of the same weight.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIND OUT WHAT HORNADY IS USING FOR POWDER FOR THEIR FACTORY LOAD???

Thanks

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
chrono the round get a idea about what velocity there at. tear one down and look at the powder try to determine if the powder fits into the weight and velocity range for that bullet.
When all else fails pick a powder and work up a load. If hornady gave us the load dats there would not be much need to buy from them.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I have no experience dealing with Hornady, I do have some with Nosler and their ammo.
I wanted to know the powder used by Nosler in one of their ammo offerings. I called Nosler and asked to speak with their ammo making person. He told me the exact loading including every component, powder, bullet, primer and brass.

Don

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIND OUT WHAT HORNADY IS USING FOR POWDER FOR THEIR FACTORY LOAD???

I doubt it. But if you use a powder that requires the same amount to give the same MV, regulation should remain the same. Weigh the Hornady powder charge and try to find a powder that'll give the same MV with a similar weight of powder.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Check it out... Hornady sent me an e mail
Eeker

The ammo plant uses commercial powders and not canister grade like you
and I would use as handloaders.
We do not have the load data complete for this cartridge yet. All I can
tell you at this time is the powder
Is close in burn rate to Win. 760.

I guess I should chrono this load and pull the bullet and then see if Win 760 is a safe load at the weight???

If nothing else it was nice to see a responce.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
there are several powders in that range. also a duplicate of ww760 is H414.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
...I guess I should chrono this load and pull the bullet and then see if Win 760 is a safe load at the weight??? ...
Hey Honkey, I'd encourage you to "work up to" whatever the Weight of the Unknown Powder is with the WW-760, if that is what you want to do. Rather than just dumping in the same weight of WW-760 as you find with the "Unknown Powder" and letting it rip.

While always watching for Pressure Indications and not being nearly as concerned about what the Velocity happens to be.

But before that, if it was me, I'd be scouring the Reloading Manuals and seeing what they have to say about WW-760(or H414 as Hivelosity mentioned) with Bullets weighing 286gr or more.
-----

Those Hornady folks always seem to go out of their way to help folks with good info.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote