THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Why my other shell holders with my Lee kit wont work?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why my other shell holders with my Lee kit wont work?
 Login/Join

posted
So I got a complete Lee reloading kit a while back and has worked well, but since I have grown in calibers. I got a complete set of shell holders but only one has a neck on the bottom to hold the shell holder to the press piston. Why is this? The shell holder that works well is the .300 WSM, but my 243 shell holder doesn't have the neck on the bottom of it and wont attach itself to the piston of the press. I'm also looking for some reloading data on the 243, using Nosler 55 grain. I use accurate 4350for my .300 WSM, will that powder work or should I look for something quicker burning?
Thanks in advance,
texas462

Posts: 4 | Location: Eielson Alaska | Registered: 17 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the "neckless" shell holders are for the primimg tool. Contact Lee--they are very helpful.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the neckless shell holders are for the lee priming tool. its a spring loaded tool and the neckless shellholders slide in to it. They are not compatible with the press shellholders.

The numbers on the shell holders are diferent also. So be careful when choosing a shell holder.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee makes, or at least made, two sets of shell holders. Mine came in two different color boxes. The shell holders for the press (with "neck") are in a green box and the priming tool holders (no "neck") are in a red box. Have fun!

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got a complete set of shell holders but only one has a neck on the bottom to hold the shell holder to the press piston.

Tex, you just bought a set of shell holders for the Lee Auto-Prime tools, not the press.

Keep them and get a primine tool plus a set of skell holders to fit the press ram.

You have good tools, just ignore snide remarks. Reloading has a learning curve, none of us were born knowing a thing about it. Keep going, you'll get there.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep them and get a primine tool

+1

The Lee Auto-Prime is IMO the best hand priming tool out there.

posted Hide Post
Ok got it figure out. Makes complete sense to me now that I can compare cartidges and setups together. I remember buying the shell holder for the pressseperately now that I think about it. I got the .243 holder for the press and I'm set to go. I was still wanting to use accurate 4350 for the 243 but there isn't any specs for the 55 grain in the manual. There is data for 4320 though. So will 4350 work if I load it low and gradually increase? Thanks for the help guys/gals. Very informative site.

texas462

Posts: 4 | Location: Eielson Alaska | Registered: 17 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
4350 is a slow powder for the .243 and light bullets. It will proably leave unburned powder behind as it won't be able to get up to full pressure.

Follow the book. Wink

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote