Find
Notify
Tools

Value of fired rifle brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
I have a number of rifle brass calibers that I have collected over the years that I DO NOT reload for. A vendor at a local monthly gun show has expressed an interest in it (trade for other stuff he sells). I have done a count of the pieces I have and done some internet search for prices of the same brass as new and unfired brass. So whats a good way to haggle/deal/trade with this guy when I take the stuff to him. Its mostly range brass that I have cleaned in a tumbler. Obviously I won't get new brass prices, but I would like to get a fair price or trade for what I have.
I have an assortment of 14 calibers. Pm's accepted for individual deals I suppose.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess would be that he would offer you roughly 1/2 of what you would be able to get for it selling it yourself on the "open market."

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think about 1/2 the price of new. Maybe a little more. Try selling it here. Flat rate priority mail boxes make shipping pretty cheap.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is always some villlage idiot out there that will reload range pickups. I looks at all pickups as haveing been fired at 100,000PSI

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone reloads, they likely wont leave the brass. It's good chance it's all factory fired stuff. Often you can tell by looking at the primer, at least Rem is fairly easy to tell. Common stuff I figure 10 cents a case so try for 6 cents on 30-06, 270 etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think about 1/2 the price of new. Maybe a little more. Try selling it here. Flat rate priority mail boxes make shipping pretty cheap.
tu2

For factory once fired cases for homemade brew that's a crap shoot literally .as it's worth what someones willing to pay for it .

I personally am somewhat skeptical of previously hand loaded discards , why were they discarded if someone reloaded them ?.

Then there are those times when less than stellar scholars attend ranges and shoot whatever they've managed to acquire !.

Reloads from a friend , family member or purchased storage lot ?.

I picked up range brass from a person whose cousin loaded ammo for this numb nutz , he used NEW Lapua Brass in doing so ?. I asked the kid are you sure your cousin doesn't want that brass back ?, his reply was ; What for it's no good now it's been shot an then mumbled what a stupid question mister we're not all idiots an walked away . OK an I collected every expended round about 350 of them !.

Some people appear bright until you hear them speak ,it's another reason light travels faster than sound !!!.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I as well as several thousand others have been classified as "village idiots" by someone that obviously isn't smart enough to tell a 1X factory case from one that has been fired multiple times.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Okay, Ive posted a list of what I have for sale and asking price in the classifieds under "FIRED RIFLE BRASS FOR SALE"

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wasbeeman you spot on. I pick up all the brass I can I keep the good stuff the other goes into the scrap bucket. At dollars per pound right now
one can make some money.

Posts: 19447 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I guess I as well as several thousand others have been classified as "village idiots" by someone that obviously isn't smart enough to tell a 1X factory case from one that has been fired multiple times.

The original poster obviously has never used many pickup cases or he would have never made that statement. Once fired brass has one advantage besides cost. It has already been proof fired.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The next dumbest guy in my village sure hopes I never move. I've happily used free range pickups for some 45+ years. Maybe the 'risk' depends - at least a little - on the knowledge of the shooter? Roll Eyes

I sometimes even buy range brass but I do NOT BUY range brass that has been tumbled; no way, no how. Tumbling completely removes any visual indication of how many times it might have been reloaded and, while I would take it for free, I sure wouldn't pay for it. Cool

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looks at all pickups as haveing been fired at 100,000PSI

It's easy to tell if the last firing was at 100k PSI. It will have either a punctured or missing primers.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And, you will be able to stick a 209 primer where the last one was...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I used once fired brass for my pistols often. Mostly when I am with the guy who is shooting the factory stuff, and doesn't reload.

With the price of componets now a days, I rarly find brass just laying around that I haven't been able to see the guy who fired it.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fat_Albert:
There is always some villlage idiot out there that will reload range pickups. I looks at all pickups as haveing been fired at 100,000PSI

I guess that's me. I picked up so much 40 Smith and Wesson that I bought two pistols. I have picked up maybe 500 pounds of mixed 40 and 9, half that much 45, a lot less rifle brass though I did get 40 300 WSMs last week.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
quote:
tu2

For factory once fired cases for homemade brew that's a crap shoot literally .as it's worth what someones willing to pay for it .

I personally am somewhat skeptical of previously hand loaded discards , why were they discarded if someone reloaded them ?.

Then there are those times when less than stellar scholars attend ranges and shoot whatever they've managed to acquire !.

Reloads from a friend , family member or purchased storage lot ?.

I picked up range brass from a person whose cousin loaded ammo for this numb nutz , he used NEW Lapua Brass in doing so ?. I asked the kid are you sure your cousin doesn't want that brass back ?, his reply was ; What for it's no good now it's been shot an then mumbled what a stupid question mister we're not all idiots an walked away . OK an I collected every expended round about 350 of them !.

Some people appear bright until you hear them speak ,it's another reason light travels faster than sound !!!.

salute archer archer

Man! I wish that guy would stop by my range with a .375 Holland or a .458 Win...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote