New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem Mag Reduced Load Data?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you have a reduced velocity load using a 168gr bullet for the 7mm Rem Mag?

I have a bunch of 168's as well as IMR 4350, RL-25, and MagPro that I am not using so I would like to load up a really low velocity round to plink with as well as fireforming new brass.

I have load data for all three powders, but before I just load 1/2 the powder charge, I thought that I would run it past you all first.

Thanks!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Using a 1/2 load of slow powder is not a good thing. I would focus on 4350. Simply look to the lower end of the load table.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Look at Richard Lee's book on rules for reducing charges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I wanted some reduced loads for Texas deer hunting with my 7mm Mag, I got some 170gr, [yes 170 not 175], Sierra round nosed bullets and loaded them over IMR 3031.
Start with 45 grains of IMR 3031, velocity around 2550fps and work up to 50 grains MAX, around 2750fps, and see what shoots best with your rifle.

From the Lyman 45th edition manual, with IMR 4350, and a 168gr bullet start with 53gr, for 2571fps to a MAX of 61gr, for 2925fps.

Hope this helps.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NONE of the OP's powders are appropriate for reduced loads, at least not for "really low velocity" with the 168-grain bullet. Plus he will not get fireformed brass with those very low pressure loads. He'd be far better off using a faster powder like H4895 or even SR4759. Dupont used to recommend a maximum load of 34 grains of SR4759 with the 175-grain bullet for 2220 fps and 51,500 CUP.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tx,

Any suggestions for the powders I have??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The powders you have are absolutely not for reduced loads, as Nimrod stated; that is how detonation occurs. Use medium burning powders like 3031, as NE says, or full loads with 4350 and slower. I don't like the really fast powders like 4759 in large cases either; too easy to double charge and the results won't be pretty either. 7 mags are not designed for light loads; get a 7mm Mauser or 7-08.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend looking at Richard Lee's 2nd edition book and using his rules of thumb for making reduced loads with "standard for cartridge" powders.

It is explained very well and I have used his guidelines successfully for years.

He has rules-of-thumb for how much you can safely reduce powders without risk of detonation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

I will load up with the lowest powder charge for each powder charge as specified in the Reloading Guides

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopardtrack, I have not used any of these loads, but a lot of good information here:

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum91/29116.html

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
NONE of the OP's powders are appropriate for reduced loads, at least not for "really low velocity" with the 168-grain bullet. Plus he will not get fireformed brass with those very low pressure loads. He'd be far better off using a faster powder like H4895 or even SR4759. Dupont used to recommend a maximum load of 34 grains of SR4759 with the 175-grain bullet for 2220 fps and 51,500 CUP.

http://hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%2...%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
Do any of you have a reduced velocity load using a 168gr bullet for the 7mm Rem Mag?

I have a bunch of 168's as well as IMR 4350, RL-25, and MagPro that I am not using so I would like to load up a really low velocity round to plink with as well as fireforming new brass.

I have load data for all three powders, but before I just load 1/2 the powder charge, I thought that I would run it past you all first.

Thanks!

Leopardtrack,

IMR-4350 isn't a good powder for reduced loads - Don't go below 90% of max charge.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray!