THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reentry rifle handloader - What else do I need?
 Login/Join

posted
Here are the nuts and bolts of my predicament:

Somewhere around January I will come into an RCBS single stage press and accessories. It's a long story but the gist of it is that although I could just go down and buy one there is a sentimental reason for waiting until this one comes my way.

Although I'm not using a center fire rifle for elk this year my son drew a tag that allows him to hunt elk during any or all of the three different seasons (archery, muzzle loader, or modern rifle) until he punches his tag or time runs out. In the event that he is still hunting by the time the center fire season comes around I would like to have a load cooked up for his rifle just in case. His rifle, a Sako 75, shoots just fine with factory ammunition but that would be like catching trout on a fly somebody else tied (certainly you guys understand Wink) and not our first choice.

I am not exactly new to reloading but it's been some time since I've loaded rifle ctgs. and I see I still have a Hodgdon manual from 1964 which I think was my first one. I was last actively loading for rifles in 1994 by the looks of a Nosler reloading manual that I marked with a date.

Enough history, here is a list of the resources I have on hand and, although perhaps not optimum, should yield ammunition that is both serviceable and reliable. The caliber is .30/06 and the bullet will be a 180 gr. Nosler Partition.

On hand:

Press - Dillon 550B
Dies - Dillon three die .30/06
Powder Measure - Dillon on a tool head dedicated to .30/06. I intend to weigh each charge.
Scale - Dillon
Calipers - Dillon
Case trimmer - Forster
Deburr/chamfer tool - Forster
Stoney Point chamber gauge
Dillon brass tumbler
Dillon case lubricant
Lyman 48th Reloading Handbook (2005?)

Components:
Nosler 180 gr. Partition bullets
Win WLR primers
H4350 powder
Once fired brass

My question to you is what am I overlooking? We belong to a rifle range that is only fifteen minutes from either of our homes and we have a chronograph.

Eventually we will be loading for three different .30/06s (two FN Brownings and the Sako) but for now we are just interested in the Sako.

Thanks for your input.

DJR

One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
You may want to get more reloading manuals and compare the given loads.

Check Amazon.com for used copies of recently published books.

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJR,
I'm sorry (and probably still jet-lagged)_ but what input are you seeking?

You can do a google search and get factory load data for your intended load from several sources including here.

I'd start with a 180gr load in 30-06 of about 55 gr of H4350 and 210primer, and work up loads in half grain increments until you get the velocity you want, see pressure signs in your loads, or reach an average of various factory manuals Max loads. I think you should reach 2700 to 2750fps w/o much trouble.

I'd arrive at seating depth by sizing a case; slitting the neck; inserting my bullet and chambering it about five to ten times, measuring its over all length each time. I back off that figure just a bump (about.005inch), and start testing with that length.

I hope this helps. If not, refine the question. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you are ready to go, but, if you must spend more money, the handheld priming tools are great. The only on I have tried is the Lee. Its the cheapest, and I can't imagine the others being significantly better.

If you want to spend even more money, a chrono would be nice, for the center fire rifle and bow only.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More books cannot hurt. Also, if your particular rifle does not "like" 180 grain Nosler Partitions, or H4350 powder, you may find yourself shooting five inch groups and wondering what went wrong. I would not limit myself to selecting one type of bullet and one powder without experimentation first. I own a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm. My brother owns a CZ 559 Full Stock in 7x57mm. It is the same action and same barrel, just a bit shorter on his. My rifle loves 162 grain Hornady SSTs and his wouldn't buy a three inch group at 100 yards with a $100 dollar bill. At the same time, both rifles like 160 grain Nosler Partitions very well. You also might take a serious look at Barnes TXS bullets. I've heard a boatload of positive comments about them. Good Luck ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guess I've got enough stuff to at least get started. I'll acquire at least one more manual and I have access to several more.

I'll certainly keep my options open with regards to bullets and powders if things aren't coming together with the components I have.

Thanks for the responses. Think I'll go fire up the tumbler and get started. I'll dremel a sized case and try that trick for arriving at the seating depth. I'm hoping to double check the Stoney Point tool by doing so.

DJR