New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lubing the Necks for resizing???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read a few posts where guys lube the necks of the cases before resizing..... Is this commonly done???

A long time ago, I figured out that the expander plug touches each one of the cases when I am full length resizing....

So Instead of lubing each case neck, I just lube the expander plug since it is easy to take out on Redding and RCBS dies....Just a squirt of WD 40 every 100 to 150 rounds and it has worked fine....

I also tumble my brass AFTER I full length size them, instead of before....

Less hassle for me it seems.....

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Necks should be lubed with case lube NOT WD40. WD40 will kill your powder and isn`t a proper lube for the purpose anyway. Use a sizeing lube made for case resizeing!!
I lube mine with a nylon bore brush wiped on a lube pad, but you can use a Q-tip or spray lube such as Hornadies one shot. The idea is to just put enough lube down to ease the expanders passage through the case neck when it exits the case. You can wipe the mouths with a Q-tip or tumble the cases for a couple minutes to remove the lube when done.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ol Joe. I use Hornady One Shot spray case lube. I stand all the cases on the loading block and spray them from the side and from above. That lubes the sides, the inside of the neck, and even the base of the cartridge gets some lube. Haven't had a ruined or stuck case yet.

On the subject of spray lubes, Hornady is the only one worth having. I've tried Lyman's and it was a disaster.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I have read a few posts where guys lube the necks of the cases before resizing..... Is this commonly done???

A long time ago, I figured out that the expander plug touches each one of the cases when I am full length resizing....

So Instead of lubing each case neck, I just lube the expander plug since it is easy to take out on Redding and RCBS dies....Just a squirt of WD 40 every 100 to 150 rounds and it has worked fine....

I also tumble my brass AFTER I full length size them, instead of before....

Less hassle for me it seems.....

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NEVER use WD 40 inside any brass. It will stay and contaminate the powder and primer.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well guys, Must have missed the part where I tumble the brass for several hours after resizing....

I have used WD 40 for brass lube for over 7 yrs now without a failure of any powder, primer or anything else....

I spray it on the expander ball... and then instead of spraying my cases... I spray a frying pan I bought cheap at the sporting goods store ( the blue ones for camping) and then just swirl my brass around in that.... a lot less mess than the ways I saw done when I first started reloading...

When the brass is tumbled it cleans off the WD40 residue just fine...I traditionally tumble it for several hours......

Too many old wives tails people worry about....

Sure WD 40 will contaminate primers, but not if they don't come in contact with them....
Other than that, it is handy and readily available....Lot more than Specialized lube for resizing.. and I do ALOT of resizing....

Synthetic Gun Oil also works well for lubing the expander ball.... a lot more simplier than lubing the inside necks of 50 to 100 cases at a time....

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire-

I can see both sides. Myself, I would never use WD-40 for lubing. Too many other good options.

But if you tumble for a few hours, I guess that cleans it off.

But wouldn't it be easier to just use a more appropriate lube & not have to spend hours getting it back off?

On a different note, the first thing that I thought of when I read your post was that WD-40 "gums up" or "hardens" after a while. Do you have any problems with residue build-up in your dies?

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
For those dies I still use the expander with, I have found Imperial Die Wax to be just the ticket. I refresh about every 25 pieces of brass, and it really works well.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone see the little article in Magnum Magazine about ammo that had stuck bullets after 3 years in a case with lube in it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to put a little dab of Imperial sizing wax inside the necks when full length sizing and tumble afterwards. I did that for about 10 years. Now I use Mica or Imperial dry neck lube and I use Imperial sizing wax on the body of the case. This works great for me. Of course I tumble after full length sizing. Some folks I know just wipe after sizing rather than tumble.

Posts: 50 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
Seafire/ B17G: If you do something that works for you, that is a point that is hard to counter. I use Hornady One-Shot also and Lightly go around 20 staggered upright cases in a loading block (one shot from four sides), with a quick shot from above and then I let the cases sit for the recommended period. It works pretty well, about the only negative I have found so far is the spray can itself and the cost for that "one more thing I need". The nozzle of course, quit on my last can, but in the last few years, this also happens with about anything I get that comes in a spray can, including WD-40.

I understand where you're coming from on the old wives tales. This started with gun cleaning and I have never had any problem when I have used it for a quick-clean, but I made sure that it was wiped from the gun and the gun had sufficient time to dry before any cartridges were inserted, nonetheless. I would feel uncomfortable with it, especially coming into contact with primers. I understand what you are doing with the tumbling and all, but I don't see how you are still providing lubrication after the first few cases.

If you can get that spray can to give you your moneys worth, it is a worthwile product. If I were loading for benchrest competition, I'd probably use an alternative method. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do the same as Alfredo does and use Motor Mica. It's dry, won't contaminate powder, and works better than any wet lube I've used. A 1 pound can will last a handloader a lifetime. billt

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I trim the expander plug on my dies so that lubing is not necessary..Usually reducing the size by .003 or .004 is satisfactory and gives the case a better purchase on the bullet, but be carefull not to over do it..cases last longer as they are not being over worked, but at the same time the expander plug is still making contact and working...I usually go .001 at a time and go by feel, I got it down pat but not sure I can explain that. bewildered

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a dry lube but I can't see anything wrong in your method. There simply wouldn't be enough WD-40 to get anywhere bad. The only contact area is the neck and the bullet will be there anyway. As long as you don't make puddles with it and use it sparingly you should be just fine. Can't argue with sucess. The tumbling after you size is a good extra safty step to eliminate all traces of WD-40. Polishing media is very absorbant and will readily pull any oil into it as apposed to the brass.

I may even try your method to make the process faster.

John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Lee Case Lube -- it's water-based and comes in a tube like toothpaste. I put a bit on a cotton swab and lube the inside of the necks of my cases before resizing by using that swab to wipe the inside of the neck lightly.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI use the old standard tube case lube on the inside of the neck applied with a q tip. I have removed it both by tumbling or washing the whole case in alcohol and let dry. If WD-40 works the way you say and has for 7 years, keep doing it! I have used it for a bunch of things but never on the expander plug. WD-40 did cause me to have a mis fire once on a shot gun. Didn't use it anymore on rifles. But that was years ago. If it works go for it!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with LE270 completely. Have been at it since 1978 and this works best for me.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a "home made" case lube but I tumble before lubing and sizing and after. Never had a misfire problem. I just dont like wd-40 it gets gummy after exposure to air for a while.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH yea the lube I use---I use also for lubing pistol slides and action parts on all my fire arms. If anyone wants the recipe email me.

crbrumbelow@alltel.net

Its great. The local law enforcement academy uses it also. Thats where I got the recipe.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Tumbling between EVERY loading? bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally only neck size my cases. I'll use a little case lube on a Q-Tip, wipe it around the inside of the neck, then wipe it back out after resizing. I've never had a case fail to fire because of lube contamination yet. I want to get past that expander unit as smoothly as possible. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An additional advantage of the Lee Case Lube is that, since it is not oil based, it does not degrade powder or primers if some happens to be left inside a case.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
An advantage to turned case necks - no expander plug needed! Control the outside dimension and the thickness and no problem.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Sibley:
I generally only neck size my cases. I'll use a little case lube on a Q-Tip, wipe it around the inside of the neck, then wipe it back out after resizing. I've never had a case fail to fire because of lube contamination yet. I want to get past that expander unit as smoothly as possible. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.
Cal - Montreal

Same here ( Vasolene, thin film left over from my first honey moon) but only when I can't get away without it and than only about one out of every three or four. Some times but rarely the condition of the brass requires that all case necks must be lubed. My reloads never sit around too long. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First choice= Redding S dies, pick the right TiN bushing and no expander needed. 2nd choice is using a carbide expander without any lube. I have retrofitted several RCBS dies with these and they work great.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tumble the brass before sizing/depriming to make the brass clean so I can see it good and inspect for numerous possible case failure problems. After sizing/depriming I clean primer pockets, trim, debur, and inspect again and then tumble again to remove oils and finger prints. This also helps clean the primer pockets more. After that I wear latex gloves and prime em charge em and seat the bullets.

Too teadious.....oh well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread began with question about the need to lube case necks before resizing.
Lubing unturned case necks is required before sizing, either full length, or neck only. There are several lubricants sold for that purpose. WD 40 is not one of them. WD 40 is bad for this application, as stated by folks above, and I agree with them.
Answer to your question is, yes lubing is required for a couple of reasons, and it works to use the correct lube, not WD 40.
Don

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
There are several lubricants sold for that purpose. WD 40 is not one of them. WD 40 is bad for this application, lubing is required for a couple of reasons, and it works to use the correct lube, not WD 40.
Don

eek2OK John, you got the word. Would you like me to send you a bottle of KY Jelley or better yet a 10 year supply ( 1 Bottle ) of Bardahl? roflmaoroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
seafire-

I can see both sides. Myself, I would never use WD-40 for lubing. Too many other good options.

But if you tumble for a few hours, I guess that cleans it off.

But wouldn't it be easier to just use a more appropriate lube & not have to spend hours getting it back off?

On a different note, the first thing that I thought of when I read your post was that WD-40 "gums up" or "hardens" after a while. Do you have any problems with residue build-up in your dies?

Nothing that a shot of carb cleaner every 6 to 8 months won't clean up!... Re the residue build up inside the die.....

As far as tumbling after each resizing.... YUP!

But I don't do my brass prep and loading all at one time anyway..... I store all of my brass in plastic container bins from Walmart ( 98 cents to $1.98 depending on size) Each container is marked for caliber and then each container is full of plastic zip lot freezer bags, containing 25 pieces of brass.... Each with a 3 x 5 card listing each one of the loads that that brass had had, and when it was new....After 10 loadings I ditch the lot number...or put it into service for downloaded ammo only...

As far as tumbling... I resize brass.... put it in the tumbler in the garage and got do something else.... sometimes go to bed and get up in the morning and turn it off.... then it normally goes into the tub marked for that caliber.....

When I get the itch to go out and shoot a rifle in that caliber, then I reload it.. but the brass is ALL READY to go......So I really don't experience any WAIT time the way I have set up my system....

As far as tumbling media, I buy another 5 pounds of walnut media every 6 to 8 months... for $5.00 locally, so I change that out about twice a year... so that is not a big expense either.....

I just found lubing each one of the case necks, very time consuming, and still had to clean it out before I reloaded it, or the powder stuck to the lube residue on the inside of the neck....That was such a hassle to correct....

Between a few short cuts like this and some efficient time management... I have gotten rid of most of the 'hassles' in reloading so I can enjoy it all the more.....

Oh for Roger Barsch... I use KY for other things besides reloading in my house... or I should say the WIFE used KY for other things besides reloading.... but that is another story!

cheers
seafire
thumb

cheers
seafire
thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck, what happend to using graphite powder?
JL

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heck, what happend to using graphite powder?

Works great for me. Graphite powder, #9 shot, and an old 35mm camera film case. Roll the brass on a RCBS pad to lube it, swirl the neck in the graphite/shot, size, and go!

High volume shooters will call it too time consuming, but it works.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Oh for Roger Barsch... I use KY for other things besides reloading in my house... or I should say the WIFE used KY for other things besides reloading.... but that is another story!thumb

Now you're just showing off loland maybe giving me an inferiority complex.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HELLO THE CAMPFIRE:
I kinda hate to step into this, but I feel left out. I tumble sonetimes, roll the cases on a pad and go to it. I don't lub the inside of the mouth ever. I have not found the need. My expander is not too tight, bullets seat fine, and I can not see any advantage. I do de-bur each shell and clean the primer pocket. I do not lube pistol shells at all, and only do it for the rifle because it is easier than removing a shell stuck in the resizer. I also crimp a little especally on mag. cartridges.
Am I going to blow my self up???
What works, works. I say go for it.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartshe:
Isn't that impotant complex??
JS

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using WD40 for lubricating cases for the past decade, and never had a problem.

I typically use it when I am reloading quite a few rounds (either neck sizing or full length resizing)....like 50 or 100 or more.

After sizing I take the brass and put it in a bucket of HOT water with ordinary dish washing (liquid) soap, stir it a few times with a big spatula, and then rinse the cases with water in a collander.

If I am just neck sizing a couple of dozen cases, I fill a bottle cap with RCBS case lube, dip the neck in, and resize....it's pretty fast, and you just throw away the bottle cap when you are done.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ever works for you...

In our quest for accuracy, we take on steps that are less trouble to keep than weed out with careful experimentation. So I have to load while wearing a cape nowFrowner

quote:
If you think you are too busy to hunt, read the obituaries tonight, and see how many are younger than you are.

THAT made me laugh!

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady Unique (similar to Imperial) as the case lube and mica as a neck lube, no stuck cases, dented brass or primer problems to date.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote